Topics

How do you guys use LRIT function on MSG data manager?

angel sevov

hi all,

First of all i am extremely new and inexperience so please go easy on me.
i would like to ask you guys about those LRIT images that Meteosat distibutes via its FTP. im just trying to use and learn tools that is available at satsingal.eu
in MSG Data Manager i activated  "Show MSG LRIT" and changed telicast recieved files location temporally (for testing purpose- instead of coping files to  "received") to the folder that ive synced from lrit30m from FTP.
but nothing happens when i press Start. am i doing it wrong?

Thorsten Miglus

Hi Angel,

I process LRIT images from the EUMETSAT FTP server without problems. Is your MSG Data Manager configured for MSG-4? Find attached some screenshots of my settings.

Cheers,
Thorsten

On Sat, Feb 23, 2019 at 08:20 PM, angel sevov wrote:
hi all,

First of all i am extremely new and inexperience so please go easy on me.
i would like to ask you guys about those LRIT images that Meteosat distibutes via its FTP. im just trying to use and learn tools that is available at satsingal.eu
in MSG Data Manager i activated  "Show MSG LRIT" and changed telicast recieved files location temporally (for testing purpose- instead of coping files to  "received") to the folder that ive synced from lrit30m from FTP.
but nothing happens when i press Start. am i doing it wrong?

Thorsten Miglus

Hi Angel,

and you must select which channels you like to process.

Cheers,
Thorsten

On Sat, Feb 23, 2019 at 08:20 PM, angel sevov wrote:
hi all,

First of all i am extremely new and inexperience so please go easy on me.
i would like to ask you guys about those LRIT images that Meteosat distibutes via its FTP. im just trying to use and learn tools that is available at satsingal.eu
in MSG Data Manager i activated  "Show MSG LRIT" and changed telicast recieved files location temporally (for testing purpose- instead of coping files to  "received") to the folder that ive synced from lrit30m from FTP.
but nothing happens when i press Start. am i doing it wrong?

David J Taylor

hi all,

First of all i am extremely new and inexperience so please go easy on me.
i would like to ask you guys about those LRIT images that Meteosat distibutes via its FTP. im just trying to use and learn tools that is available at satsingal.eu
in MSG Data Manager i activated "Show MSG LRIT" and changed telicast recieved files location temporally (for testing purpose- instead of coping files to "received") to the folder that ive synced from lrit30m from FTP.
but nothing happens when i press Start. am i doing it wrong?
===============================

Angel,

I can confirm Thorsten's report. I just checked the current MSG Data Manager with files downloaded by my MsgFtpHelper program, and they are processed correctly in the MSG Data Manager. Check that you are downloading the files as binary, not ASCII if you are using your own FTP program, and check that in the Setup, Channel Selection, MSG-LRIT page, you have the five Process boxes ticked. The current active satellite is MSG-4, and that should be selected on the Setup, Options, Advanced page.

angel sevov

Hi Thorsten,

MSG-4 did the trick.. i wondered why the Check button in file controls section couldnt find my files. it was so clear that all of them are msg4 files and under advanced section msg3 was selected. silly me ..

Do you guys know what this error means? as soon as MSG Data Manager starts to decode its crashes... i tested both on W10 and on my W7
i unchecked the channels one by one but it didnt help. i googled it and also checked FAQs at satsignal.eu for help

David J Taylor

Hi Thorsten,

MSG-4 did the trick.. i wondered why the Check button in file controls section couldnt find my files. it was so clear that all of them are msg4 files and under advanced section msg3 was selected. silly me ..

Do you guys know what this error means? as soon as MSG Data Manager starts to decode its crashes... i tested both on W10 and on my W7
i unchecked the channels one by one but it didnt help. i googled it and also checked FAQs at satsignal.eu for help

The MSG Data Manager should be protected against most errors - from hard experience in fixing them when others discovered them! I suggest starting with the Logs tab visible. I would also check that the files have been brought down in binary mode, and not ASCII. Please show a screen-shot of Help, About.

Thorsten Miglus

Hi Angel,

Maybe you have not selected binary transfer when downloading the files?
When you download the files with ASCII transfer they are corrupted.

Cheers,
Thorsten

On Sun, Feb 24, 2019 at 04:29 PM, angel sevov wrote:
Hi Thorsten,

MSG-4 did the trick.. i wondered why the Check button in file controls section couldnt find my files. it was so clear that all of them are msg4 files and under advanced section msg3 was selected. silly me ..

Do you guys know what this error means? as soon as MSG Data Manager starts to decode its crashes... i tested both on W10 and on my W7
i unchecked the channels one by one but it didnt help. i googled it and also checked FAQs at satsignal.eu for help

angel sevov

Hi  David J Taylor and Thorsten Miglus ,

Thank you guys for your answers. Msg-4 solved the problem, now as i wrote in my earlier mail MSG data manger sees my files, but when i do start the decoding process at the bottom of the window it is starts to count and shows me some errors, and as soon as it starts to decode, crashes..

angel sevov

Yes it was binary/ASCI thing caused the problem. ive tested everything but the Binary/ASCI.
Problem was that FileZilla downloaded all files as ASCI (in AUTO-mode).

Im really grateful for your help Thorsten and you David for your tools.

i have big passion for satellites, SDR and telecommunication technologies. Eumetcast was always a dream and it was not free as you guys already know.
As a DXer i am so happy that Eumetcast have changed their policy and giving the tools, licenses and EKUs free of charge for private-use. it has never been so easy to getting started