Topics

Some basic info required for a beginner

Paul Gulliver

Hi David and all
Further to your post in the MultiPSK group you have whetted my appetite for receiving data via Eumetcast.
I already have a 1.1m off set dish (presently receiving C-band data from Inmarsat 3F5) but would appreciate some guidance.
On your page for the Eumetcast link margins I notice many use the Ayecka SR1 receiver so I assume this to be a good choice, I notice some use a twin output LNB is there any reason for this - do I need two receivers?
On the Eumetsat page they mention basic and high volume services - in terms of dissemination what are the differences - I can't find a page that lists exactly what is disseminated by each service.
Finally what is the basic software I need for the viewing/processing of the data
At the moment this is just a possibility of being a project for 2019 - The last time I received Meteosat images direct they were in analogue format (APT style) using the Dartcom
converter - more years ago than I wish to remember.

Cheers,

Paul

David J Taylor

[...]

======================================

Paul,

Briefly, and I hope other will step in as well:

- receivers. The Ayecka SR1 works very well, but so do other devices such as those from TBS. There is a choice of USB box (single input, one transceiver) or PCIe card which can be dual-input, so one card handling both transponders. Beware the TBS software - works for some, crashes Windows for others. Use the BDADataEx software if you have problems (I prefer it anyway).

- if you want to get all the data (including HVS-1) you need two feeds if using a single-input receiver (e.g. Ayecka SR1, TBS 5927, Novra), but that can be from a single LNB with a splitter, as both transponders have the same band an polarisation.

- reception software, you need the TelliCast software and USB dongle from EUMETSAT (€100). This gets you files needing further processing.

- processing software, you could use my paid-for MSG Toolset Plus and HRPT Toolset Plus which hundreds of other use. Once you start getting files from TelliCast, download my software and there is a 30-day trial period. There is Linux-specific and free Windows software as well if that's your preference.

There is more information (likely needing an update!) on my Web site, and on the EUMETSAT pages:

https://www.satsignal.eu/wxsat/atovs/index.html
https://www.eumetsat.int/website/home/Data/DataDelivery/EUMETCast/index.html

David J Taylor

Hi David and all
[]
On the Eumetsat page they mention basic and high volume services - in terms of dissemination what are the differences - I can't find a page that lists exactly what is disseminated by each service.
[]
Cheers,
Paul
======================================

Paul,

Many folk comment about this. There's a EUMETSAT page but it could do with more expansion:

https://www.eumetsat.int/website/home/Data/DataDelivery/EUMETCast/ReceptionStationSetup/ChannelsandPIDs/index.html

Many folk want the geostationary and polar orbiter images, and aren't too fussed about the sounder and derived weather data, but there's a lot of info to be gained from that if your interest is weather rather than just (brilliant!) images.

geojohnt@...

David,

I agree.

I took the 'channel index' matter up with Ops in November as I couldn't find exactly what I was looking for - or rather, 'where do I find xxx data?'

Some channel entries are self explanatory, but others are a bit well, not vague, but what are they exactly?

Perhaps a glossary of the 'channel name/terms' is needed?
Or, simpler and better for 'us,' colour coded imaging channel listings - VIS, IR WV, and different for Met Products, etc, etc?

+++++++++++++++++++++

In a message dated 02/01/2019 08:14:18 GMT Standard Time, gm8arv@... writes:

Many folk comment about this.  There's a EUMETSAT page but it could do with
more expansion:

  https://www.eumetsat.int/website/home/Data/DataDelivery/EUMETCast/ReceptionStationSetup/ChannelsandPIDs/index.html

Many folk want the geostationary and polar orbiter images, and aren't too
fussed about the sounder and derived weather data, but there's a lot of info
to be gained from that if your interest is weather rather than just
(brilliant!) images.

Paul Gulliver

David, thanks for the links, the information on your web site is very helpful
- more so than on the EUMETcast web site.
Plenty of reading to keep me quiet for a day or two - as you may know there
are a couple of dead links on your page particularly under the paperwork
section - those referring to the Geo web site are dead but I'm sure I'll be
able to find the info required :)

Thanks,

[...]

==============================

Paul,

Please let me know of broken links, so I can fix them.

The GEO Web site should still be active, but its shop is now closed.

Paul Gulliver

Hi David,
The broken links I have found on this page
https://www.satsignal.eu/wxsat/atovs/index.html
are under the "paperwork" section - the first line reads "Meteosat-8/9/10 and
the guidance available here will help!" the link under the word "here" is
broken (http://www.geo-web.org.uk/eumreg.html)

Also the third sub paragraph "For advice on completing the form, please see
the GEO Web site." the link under the "Geo Web site" is broken
(http://www.geo-web.org.uk/eumreg.html) (Same link as above - only just
realised that)

at the end of the paragraph you link to the MSG Yahoo group rather than the
groups.io

I keep finding more pages of interest on your site, enough reading for a
couple of weeks :)

Cheers,

Paul

On 02/01/2019 at 13:34, "David J Taylor via Groups.Io"
<gm8arv=yahoo.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

====================================

That's much appreciated, Paul. I did find that the version on the Web was lagging behind my local version, so some of the references were out-of-date anyway. Should be corrected now with a Crtl-F5.

My Web site serves as my own notebook in some cases, so usually what you can read there has been done and tested - although with Linux, hardware and EUMETCast updates it might now fail!.

Alan Banks

The GEO website pages are .php and not .html

It is likely that much of the info there is dated and suffers from dead link problems.

Please contact me direct if you find anything obvious.

Cheers

Alan

GEO Web

http://www.geo-web.org.uk/contact_webmstr/contactform.php