Topics

Pytroll/SatPy for EUMETCast

Ernst Lobsiger

Dear All,

This is my second attempt to crack SatPy. This Python package
is still in development and documentation is not for the faint
of heart. Nevertheless the developers are very helpful and
responsive. Together with Christian I did a lot of try and error
so far. The result is a couple of scripts that can image and
reproject in different composites the following satellites
that we receive with EUMETCast: MSG1, MSG4, GOMS2, Himawari8
GOES15, and GOES16. Sentinel-3A/3B OLCI is next to look at.

As this is Python much of our work should run with little
tweeking in an Anaconda3 installation under Windows too.
But as you know I'm on the GNU/Linux track and new to Python
as well. I intend to write an EUMETCast SatPy HOWTO when I
have some more experiance. For the moment you find a protocol
of my installation steps and a few scripts that work so far
together with some recent images I did on my receiver Ganymed:

                http://185.74.120.175:83

I look forward to others publishing their scripts or SatPy hints
in this thread. BTW the next Pytroll workshop is at EUMETSAT.

simonproud <simon.proud@...>

Hi Ernst,
We have been using SatPy (and PyTroll before that) for some time to generate the live satellite images on TV screens around our workplace. It's an excellent tool!
One thing I would recommend is to only use SatPy to load the data, then to do the processing yourself in numpy/xarrays. SatPy seems very slow at calculating solar angles, so I prefer to link it to an external C-script that can calculate the angles much faster, it saves us about 5 minutes of processing time for the high res satellites, and a minute or two for SEVIRI. You can still use the satpy composites to generate the final image, just requires a bit of hacking!

We're also looking to use SatPy with OLCI/SLSTR NRT data, although we've not done that yet. One thing I don't understand there is why PyOrbital is needed, both OLCI and SLSTR granules contain geoinfo so I don't know why there's a need to know the TLEs for Sentinel-3A/B. I presume I have missed something obvious! ;-)

I may be going to the next SatPy workshop, so maybe see you there?

Cheers,
Simon

On Sat, 6 Oct 2018 at 12:49, Ernst Lobsiger <ernst.lobsiger@...> wrote:

[...]

I'am still an absolute Python newby, So what you recommend is out of reach :-).

SatPy is Pytroll integrated to a level where you can get results with 3 lines.
But this goes with less control. I have not yet found a way to make SatPy use
a provided TLE. It seems to download that from Internet whenever necessary.

Also I have an issue with "platforms.txt". Under certain conditions I can
not reproduce so far, my scripts show a need for that file in the DEBUG output.
The file seems not distributed with satpy or pyorbital. On the command line
it's easy to get the message that the platforms.txt is missing in PPP_CONFIG_DIR.
If PPP_CONFIG_DIR environmental varable is not set it Defaults to ...satpy/etc.

from pyorbital import tlefile
On the other hand the OLCI reader does read all 21 channels + tie_geometries
+ geo_coordinates + ...._instrument_data. It does not (yet?) understand
xdumanifest + time_coordinates + quality_flags + removed_pixels. The olci.py
DEBUG output does not show a need for a TLE or an attempt to download that.

Images are rather pale compared to what I get using SNAP4 convert.

Am 07.10.2018 11:48, schrieb simonproud:
[...]

I'am back with PyTroll/SatPy for EUMETCast. Python is going to version 3.7+ next year
and all support for Python 2.7 will end on January 1st 2020. I have now (re-)written my
HOWTO using Python 3.7.3 on a Debian 10 (Buster, still testing) GNU/Linux box. I attach
this HOWTO and a couple of PyTroll/SatPy scripts that produce high quality images. It
must be noted that these scripts should run with little adaptions under Windows with
Anaconda3 and PyTroll/SatPy installed. This means that installation method 3 described
in my HOWTO can be used on Windows or Mc OS boxes as well. One thing I'd like to stress
is that PyTroll/SatPy has projection library Proj under the hood. So it is rather easy
to reproject data moving your station or any other point of interest into the center of
the picture. With Proj more or less any map projection you can think of is included.

I now wrote a number of scripts for polar orbiting satellites as well. If you get
data from Metop_A/B/C, Suomi_NPP, NOAA-20 or EOS-Aqua/Terra each of these satellites
will produce one usable pass near or over your station every day and night. My scripts
will automatically pick up the right files to produce images of your "personal" pass.

I have put a couple of images that can be produced on my GNU/Linux receiver Terra.

Terra can be reached here:  http://185.74.120.175:85/Pictures

PyTroll/SatPy is now slowly becomming mature and the documentation has been improved
as well. We witness the grow up of a very professional software tool that is already
used by many universities and national met offices 24/7. Those who are willing to read
the documentation and climb some learning curve can be part of the development. This
is all FOSS and the small team of core developers is responsive and willing to help.

P.S. As my text files were written under GNU/Linux Windows users might miss CRs at the
end of lines. If this is the case open the files with WordPad and (re-)save them again.
And *YES* I'm still a Python dummy. Don't compare my code with what people like Simon do.

Hugo

Nice write up Ernst ! Many thanks ....
grts,

Hugo

On Sat, Apr 13, 2019 at 01:28 AM, Ernst Lobsiger wrote:
http://185.74.120.175:85/Pictures

Christian Peters

Ernst,

really a great overview about the possibilities we have with PyTroll/Python
to process data received by EUMETCAST. The detailed installation instructions and the
scripts are very helpful to dive into the magic of "make it by yourself" and helps a lot, as the
documentation of PyTroll lacks some more code examples. It is really amazing that you can
have nice composites with a few lines of code! Really highly integrated stuff!

Thank you very much for your efforts, maybe someone will now try PyTroll under Windows or Mac OS?
But I think the 'best' platform could be Linux as it's developed on...
Maybe worth a try to install Linux for the first time...? ;-)

Regards,

Christian

Am 13.04.19 um 10:28 schrieb Ernst Lobsiger:

[...]

Hi Christian,
I run (and develop) SatPy on a windows machine, it works without any problems or modifications compared to Linux. Just install Miniconda and away you go!
Simon

On Sun, 14 Apr 2019 at 20:54, Christian Peters via Groups.Io <hctpeters=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

that's cool! I read about some problems in the past....but that's really good news!
Another cause to dive into PyTroll...! ;-)

Regards,

Christian

Am 14.04.19 um 21:57 schrieb simonproud:

[...]

no idea how much work this really is. But could you write a SatPy reader for the FengYun GEO satellites (FY2E and FY2G IIRC)? It's HDF5 files in EUMETCast Channel_12  (Z_SATE_C_BABJ_2019 ....HDF.gz). Or could this be sort of a student project that you are able to initiate? Thank you for the code you already gave to Pytroll. My contribution will stay on a far lower level. With my aging brain I already struggle to keep my medium C-knowlege alive ...

Best regards,
Ernst

Hartmut Schulla

Hi folks!

I’m trying miniconda for windows.

I cannt get satpy/pytroll because ssl-support is unavailable in miniconda:

(pytroll) C:\Users\Hartmut>conda install satpy

Collecting package metadata: failed

CondaHTTPError: HTTP 000 CONNECTION FAILED for url <https://repo.anaconda.com/pkgs/main/noarch/repodata.json.bz2>

Elapsed: -

An HTTP error occurred when trying to retrieve this URL.

HTTP errors are often intermittent, and a simple retry will get you on your way.

If your current network has https://www.anaconda.com blocked, please file

a support request with your network engineering team.

SSLError(MaxRetryError('HTTPSConnectionPool(host=\'repo.anaconda.com\', port=443): Max retries exceeded with url: /pkgs/main/noarch/repodata.json.bz2 (Caused by SSLError("Can\'t connect to HTTPS URL because the SSL module is not available."))'))

Can anyybody help me?

[...]

Solved!

Running condaprompt as admin solved the problem.

Regards

Hartmut

[...]

Thanks - but my contributions are very very small...and (I think) none are related to data sent over EUMETCAST!
Unfortunately we don't use Fengyun 2 data, so I won't be able to add a reader for that. We do use FY-4 data, however, and I hope to hire a summer student who will add that data-stream to SatPy :-)

Cheers,
Simon

On Sun, 14 Apr 2019 at 22:02, Ernst Lobsiger <ernst.lobsiger@...> wrote:
Simon,

no idea how much work this really is. But could you write a SatPy reader for the FengYun GEO satellites (FY2E and FY2G IIRC)? It's HDF5 files in EUMETCast Channel_12  (Z_SATE_C_BABJ_2019 ....HDF.gz). Or could this be sort of a student project that you are able to initiate? Thank you for the code you already gave to Pytroll. My contribution will stay on a far lower level. With my aging brain I already struggle to keep my medium C-knowlege alive ...

Best regards,

Simon,

FY-4 sounds excellent. Not sure we will see that very soon on EUMETCast though. Once a reader (and the data) is available it's almost childs play to produce nice composites and projections with Pytroll/SatPy. Interesting times...

Hartmut Schulla

Hi!

There is a small problem:  What’s the meaning for „xRIT decompression binary“ ?

Where to find and is there some „HowTo“ for Windows?

Regards

Hartmut

Ernst Lobsiger

Hartmut,

as described in the HOWTO. The source code is available from EUMETSAT. It is free of charge but must be licensed on an individual basis. You will get a zip File with some instructions inside. You will also need a C-Compiler like gcc.

Ernst

The source code for the wavelet decompression program "xRITDecompress"
is available at http://oiswww.eumetsat.int/WEBOPS-cgi/wavelet/register
You must license and build the software if you do not have it already.

Ernst Lobsiger

Hartmut,

https://www.eumetsat.int/website/home/Data/DataDelivery/SupportSoftwareandTools/index.html

has some more info. You will probably go with CygWin.

Ernst

Hartmut Schulla

Yes, I see!

Thanks!