Topics

Boundary data

Ferdinand Valk

David,

During the weekend I changed my GeoSatSignal for the version advertised on
your Beta page as "GeoSatSignal - 8.2.3", which is actually
geosatsignal.8.2.2.1142.
This morning I found out that this version does not produce country
boundaries anymore. Reverting to an older version (in this case I used
geosatsignal.8.2.1.1134 of December last) resolved the issue. Could you have
a look at that please?

Cheers,
Ferdinand

Hamdan

Ferdinand,

check the country boundary data file directory of Cartography option in GeoSatSignal setup.

Regards
Hamdan

Ferdinand Valk

Hamdan,

Thanks for the suggestion, but that is not the issue. All settings (common and per job) are identical between the two versions of GeoSatSignal. The 1142 version does not produce boundaries, whereas 1134 does.

Must be something else.

Ferdinand

check the country boundary data file directory of Cartography option in GeoSatSignal setup.

Regards
Hamdan

During the weekend I changed my GeoSatSignal for the version advertised on
your Beta page as "GeoSatSignal - 8.2.3", which is actually
geosatsignal.8.2.2.1142.
This morning I found out that this version does not produce country
boundaries anymore. Reverting to an older version (in this case I used
geosatsignal.8.2.1.1134 of December last) resolved the issue. Could you have
a look at that please?

Cheers,
Ferdinand
===============================

Just checked here, Ferdinand, with beta "V8.2.2.1142" and I can't see any problem. Checked with countries.dat and some GSHHG 2.3.7 files (gshhs_i.b and internal borders wdb_borders_i.b).

What exact boundary files are you using?

Ferdinand Valk

During the weekend I changed my GeoSatSignal for the version advertised on
your Beta page as "GeoSatSignal - 8.2.3", which is actually
geosatsignal.8.2.2.1142.
This morning I found out that this version does not produce country
boundaries
anymore. Reverting to an older version (in this case I used
geosatsignal.8.2.1.1134 of December last) resolved the issue. Could you
have a
look at that please?

Cheers,
Ferdinand
===============================

Just checked here, Ferdinand, with beta "V8.2.2.1142" and I can't see any
problem. Checked with countries.dat and some GSHHG 2.3.7 files (gshhs_i.b
and internal borders wdb_borders_i.b).

What exact boundary files are you using?

=====================================
David,

Using a modified countries.dat file that includes the Dutch isles (path
C:\Tools\DJT programs\Boundaries\countries-nl-extra.dat).
Situation is simple: version 1134 works perfectly well, I overwrite the exe
and lng files with version 1142 and gone are the boundaries. No changes in
anything else and as indicated in my response to Hamdan, no change in common
settings or job settings either.
I'm a bit puzzled as to why you don't see this behaviour.

Would it be convenient if I were to send a particular file to you?

Cheers,
Ferdinand

Maurizio calvitti

Indeed,  the Beta version of  GSS, on my PC, produces boundaries as expected!

Ciao
Maurizio

Using a modified countries.dat file that includes the Dutch isles (path
C:\Tools\DJT programs\Boundaries\countries-nl-extra.dat).
Situation is simple: version 1134 works perfectly well, I overwrite the exe
and lng files with version 1142 and gone are the boundaries. No changes in
anything else and as indicated in my response to Hamdan, no change in common
settings or job settings either.
I'm a bit puzzled as to why you don't see this behaviour.

Would it be convenient if I were to send a particular file to you?

Cheers,
Ferdinand
================================

Ferdinand,

Please send the boundary file, and indicate where the lines are missing (or perhaps it's everywhere!). The only change in the code was to accommodate GSHHG data, and that was in .1140. Perhaps your modified file is now getting identified as a different file type.

Ferdinand Valk

================================

Ferdinand,

Please send the boundary file, and indicate where the lines are missing
(or
perhaps it's everywhere!). The only change in the code was to accommodate
GSHHG data, and that was in .1140. Perhaps your modified file is now
getting
identified as a different file type.

==================
David,

The file has been sent to your blueyonder address. All lines are missing
everywhere, so not a particular place.

Thanks for looking at this.

Cheers,
Ferdinand

The file has been sent to your blueyonder address. All lines are missing
everywhere, so not a particular place.

Thanks for looking at this.

Cheers,
Ferdinand
============================

Thanks, Ferdinand. I tried your file and the boundaries plot correctly, as I said in my direct message.

As a general point, I'm now using the GSHHG shoreline data version 2.3.7 (note the changed name), and using the borders (world database) from the same source. The countries.dat file is very simple starter file, and likely to be well out of date. Perhaps these files will include the extra data you need?

http://www.soest.hawaii.edu/wessel/gshhg/ => binary download

In my GeoSatSignal tests I'm using:

Country boundary => Shorelines: gshhs_i.b
Secondary user overlay => Borders: wdb_borders_i.b

The data is available at multiple resolutions, so you can choose the quality which best meets your needs. The last character in the file name is:

f - full resolution
h - high resolution
i - intermediate resolution
l - low resolution

Ferdinand Valk

[...]

====================================
David,

I have sent you a direct email with all the settings involved. As indicated
in that mail, it is not related to any boundary file. None work (for me) in
v 1142 and all in 1134. I'm using not only the modified country.dat file but
also the SOEST files in various resolutions, depending on the job at hand.

Ferdinand

David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🇪🇺

Fixed in beta 1145, just uploaded. My fault.

Cheers,
David.

Ferdinand Valk

--
Thanks for the solution David. Now working fine.

Cheers,
Ferdinand