Topics

Signal

Ian Deans

Since late afternoon I have been seeing large sudden swings in my signal on both TP1 and TP2 of up to 1 SNR but usually nearer 0.5 to 0.7
SNR.

This is over and above the issue of a lower signal over the last couple of months or so of about 0.5 to 0.7. Dish alignment and LNB skew have been checked and are fine.

Last year I changed from a 1 metre dish to a 1.1 dish and was advised with careful adjustment I should gain about 0.9 SNR and indeed with some hard work I managed to get that increase. Now I have lost about 70% of the gain with the bigger dish --- most annoying !!

Ian

How about your connectors on the RF cable to the LNB? I once had similar issues with an F-connector that had lost tight contact with the cable shield.

Ian Deans

On 22/07/2018 20:34, Ernst Lobsiger wrote:
Ian
How about your connectors on the RF cable to the LNB? I once had similar issues with an F-connector that had lost tight contact with the cable shield.

Thanks for your reply Ernst.I did look at both my LNB connections at the time I was checking my LNB skew and they did appear to be OK, although to be 100% sure they should probably have the tape removed and the connection re done.

I am still of the opinion that it is some change in the satellite as I am not the only one to be experiencing this signal drop, and my northerly position is likely not to be helping !!

geojohnt@...

Ian,

As you know, I am also suffering a 0.5 dB drop on my overall daily SNR variation - peak to peak.
I thought things had improved slightly a couple of days last week with my higher level edging up but it was short lived.

The continuing relentless daytime heat down here (and it's set to get even hotter this week) make it difficult to compare with earlier cooler times this year - when of course the sun was lower.
A weather forecaster on BBC TV said that UV levels are unusually high this year so that has an effect on the 'atmosphere.'
But I too agree, 'something happened a couple of months ago.'

We can't both be wrong?

++++++++++++++++

In a message dated 22/07/2018 20:53:03 GMT Standard Time, iandeans142@... writes:

I am still of the opinion that it is some change in the satellite as I
am not the only one to be experiencing this signal drop, and my
northerly position is likely not to be helping !!

J Marsh

Did someone already ask if its caused by excess heat in June and July causing the dish to warp, perhaps getting a deeper parabolic shape?

    John M

geojohnt@...

John,

My sheltered patio mounted dish (and our 10 degree facing dishes) get a lot of sunshine on them for a large part of the day and my grey pained dish is far too hot to touch at midday - the black Iverto LNB very hot also.

However we had a couple of cloudy days last week and the dish and LNB were 'cool' with an ambient temperature of 30 degrees and the same 'SNR problem' occurred.
So I don't think it's a 'dish/LNB temperature' problem.

For me at least - and some others, there are two issues, lower overall average level of SNR for 2 + months now, and 'considerable' stepping/jumps up and down of the (lower) SNR during the day.

My view is that the satellite signal path - up and down -  is through a volatile atmosphere at this time of the year.

We shall see, later?