Topics

HVS-2

Douglas Deans

One input OF MY TBS 6903 is handling the new S3A data and the existing data very well on the HVS-2 service.
So S3A ERR and EFR, NOAA 20 VIIRS M and DNB, and GOES 16 ABI and GLM sometimes simultaneously without loss.
Bodes well for S3B being added and NOAA 20 and GOES 16 going to HVS-1 (on the other 6903 input).

David J Taylor

One input OF MY TBS 6903 is handling the new S3A data and the existing
data very well on the HVS-2 service.
So S3A ERR and EFR, NOAA 20 VIIRS M and DNB, and GOES 16 ABI and GLM
sometimes simultaneously without loss.
Bodes well for S3B being added and NOAA 20 and GOES 16 going to HVS-1
(on the other 6903 input).

================================

Thanks for the report, Douglas. I've configured my single-cable TBS6903 system to handle both data streams, but the initial impression is that sending 600 MB files over the network to the processing PC every few minutes is not such a great idea. I'll leave it for a while, but I'm coming round more to thinking of a single PC for both receive and processing may be a better option for these large data streams.

The issue only arose because the S3A data used to be on a PC handling HVS-1, and now it will have to move to HVS-2 which is currently on a different PC. Once the swaps are complete I'll have to think about possible reconfiguration.

I haven't looked at Sentinel data for a while, to be honest, and mot likely I would use an Internet service now that such good processing algorithms are available free of charge. I do watch the GOES-16 data, and occasionally NOAA-20 (e.g. day-night).

73,
David GM8ARV

Douglas Deans

On 18/06/2018 16:59, David J Taylor via Groups.Io wrote:
[...]

Very interesting David. I use a single computer which is now over 5 years old although was cutting edge at the time ! My current arrangement is now the SR1 for BS and the TBS 6903 (input 0) for HVS-2. When NOAA 20 and GOES 16 move to HVS-1, I will use the second TBS 6903 input (single cable input system using BDADataEx).

Strangely after years of problems with HVS data using the SR1 (although proven not to be an issue with the SR1 itself) a recent test shows that the issue has gone. No idea why but suspect windows update as I have not changed anything during the previous years of problems.
However I will probably leave the BS service on its own given the Scottish winters (and recently the Scottish summer !!).

We are spoilt for choice.

Regards.
Douglas.

James Brown

On 18/06/2018 16:26, Douglas Deans via Groups.Io wrote:
One input OF MY TBS 6903 is handling the new S3A data and the existing data very well on the HVS-2 service.
So S3A ERR and EFR, NOAA 20 VIIRS M and DNB, and GOES 16 ABI and GLM sometimes simultaneously without loss.
Bodes well for S3B being added and NOAA 20 and GOES 16 going to HVS-1 (on the other 6903 input).

I haven't seen a corresponding update on the transfer of GOES16 & NOAA20 data yet - I guess that info should be coming soon.

Cheers
James

David J Taylor

I haven't seen a corresponding update on the transfer of GOES16 & NOAA20
data yet - I guess that info should be coming soon.

Cheers
James
=====================================

James,

Yes, in August-September:

https://www.eumetsat.int/website/home/News/DAT_3942692.html?lang=EN&pState=1

James Brown

On 19/06/2018 10:25, David J Taylor via Groups.Io wrote:
I haven't seen a corresponding update on the transfer of GOES16 & NOAA20
data yet - I guess that info should be coming soon.

Cheers
James
=====================================

James,

Yes, in August-September:

 https://www.eumetsat.int/website/home/News/DAT_3942692.html?lang=EN&pState=1

Yes indeed I saw that - it was the bit at the end I was thinking of - namely:

For the transfer of GOES-16 and NOAA-20 data to TP1, more information will be provided in due course.

Cheers

James

Douglas Deans

On 19/06/2018 10:06, James Brown wrote:
On 18/06/2018 16:26, Douglas Deans via Groups.Io wrote:
One input OF MY TBS 6903 is handling the new S3A data and the existing data very well on the HVS-2 service.
So S3A ERR and EFR, NOAA 20 VIIRS M and DNB, and GOES 16 ABI and GLM sometimes simultaneously without loss.
Bodes well for S3B being added and NOAA 20 and GOES 16 going to HVS-1 (on the other 6903 input).

I haven't seen a corresponding update on the transfer of GOES16 & NOAA20 data yet - I guess that info should be coming soon.
Cheers
James

James the timings of the change for NOAA 20 and GOES 16 are on the same announcement :-

https://www.eumetsat.int/website/home/News/DAT_3942692.html

So parallel operation for NOAA 20 and GOES 16 will start on 22nd August and by 11th September those services will only be available on HVS-1.

I assume the only name change will be the prefix from E2H to E1H

diogenes1@...

David, could you please expand a little on this comment you made?
Regards, Peter