Topics

NPP Image Data

Ian Deans

There has been a change today in the format of the NPP Image Data received in channel NPP-2, which I am told by Douglas is now the same format as the presently testing NOAA 20 data.

This change has not been reported in the Weekly Operations Schedule, so I would suspect that many are not aware of it.

As a result Data Manager is no longer processing this data to the NPP folder and those using David's program will find NPP image data ( SVMC and SVDNBC ) building up in the received folder.

I would also advise that EUMETCastView is unable to process the new format NPP image data.

Thorsten Miglus

Hi Ian,

The files are still in the same format but not bzip2 compressed.
I compressed one of the files with bzip2 and it was readable by EUMETCastView.

Cheers,
Thorsten

On Wed, May 2, 2018 at 05:56 am, Ian Deans wrote:
There has been a change today in the format of the NPP Image Data received in channel NPP-2, which I am told by Douglas is now the same format as the presently testing NOAA 20 data.

This change has not been reported in the Weekly Operations Schedule, so I would suspect that many are not aware of it.

As a result Data Manager is no longer processing this data to the NPP folder and those using David's program will find NPP image data ( SVMC and SVDNBC ) building up in the received folder.

I would also advise that EUMETCastView is unable to process the new format NPP image data.

Douglas Deans

On 02/05/2018 16:35, Thorsten Miglus wrote:
Hi Ian,
The files are still in the same format but not bzip2 compressed.
I compressed one of the files with bzip2 and it was readable by EUMETCastView.
Cheers,
Thorsten

Thorsten there is a little bit more than that to it in that Eumetsat have now changed over to the CVIIRS 2 tool for NPP as they have already done for the recent NOAA 20 VIIRS M and DNB data. Perhaps Hugo has already incorporated that tool as it was needed for the NOAA 20 data or perhaps he uses his own. I am not a software man !

Please see :=

https://www.eumetsat.int/website/home/News/DAT_3821126.html?lang=EN&pState=1

I know he has prepared a program for the new NPP format so perhaps it will be released soon after testing.
Thanks for the heads up.

Thorsten Miglus

Thank's Douglas for clarifying this. As I use the latest version of EUMETCastView this makes sense.

Cheers,
Thorsten

On Wed, May 2, 2018 at 09:36 am, Douglas Deans wrote:
Thorsten there is a little bit more than that to it in that Eumetsat have now changed over to the CVIIRS 2 tool for NPP as they have already done for the recent NOAA 20 VIIRS M and DNB data. Perhaps Hugo has already incorporated that tool as it was needed for the NOAA 20 data or perhaps he uses his own. I am not a software man !

Please see :=

https://www.eumetsat.int/website/home/News/DAT_3821126.html?lang=EN&pState=1

I know he has prepared a program for the new NPP format so perhaps it will be released soon after testing.
Thanks for the heads up.

Hugo

Thorsten, Douglas, Ian,

EUMETCastView is already able to process the new CVIIRS 2 format. The files for NPP are now internaly compressed and not bz2 compressed.
I will upload (later in the day ...) an updated version.

Kind regards,

Hugo

Hugo

I uploaded a new version v1.3.8 to github. The NPP segments are now visible ...
You can download it from https://github.com/hvanruys/EUMETCastView/releases

grts,

Hugo

Douglas Deans

On 03/05/2018 09:10, Hugo wrote:
I uploaded a new version v1.3.8 to github. The NPP segments are now visible ...
You can download it from https://github.com/hvanruys/EUMETCastView/releases
grts,
Hugo

Many thanks Hugo. Working perfectly.
As I also noticed with the NOAA 20 test M and DNB data the new CVIIRS and compression arrangement has greatly sped up the speed at which VIIRS images are created in your program. Nice bonus !

Best regards,
Douglas.

David J Taylor

Folks,

The MSG Data Manager has been updated to handle the new NPP file names:

http://www.satsignal.eu/software/msg_dm.htm#bundle

seggins2000

Thanks David!
Regards
John

The MSG Data Manager has been updated to handle the new NPP file names:

http://www.satsignal.eu/software/msg_dm.htm#bundle

James Brown

On 05/05/2018 11:47, David J Taylor via Groups.Io wrote:
Folks,

The MSG Data Manager has been updated to handle the new NPP file names:

 http://www.satsignal.eu/software/msg_dm.htm#bundle

A strange thing on the processing machine (which is running a rather older version of Windows10 that hasn't been updated for at least a year in case that is relevant)  - I get a number of error messages when trying to install the new update - which is as others will doubtless know a new suite of files, rather than just an exe.

The errors occur whether I run it under administrative privileges or not.

Errors like:

Error ocurred whilst trying to replace the existing file LLHjpeg.dll

Access is denied Code 5

Same for the WaveletDLL.dll

Also Windows system32 ipIPX.dll delete file failed.

However, the new .exe program seems to run fine with the existing dll's (including the new NOAA20 npp files), so thank you! I'm not concerned, just can't quite work it out as I haven't seen that before.

Cheers

James

Christian Peters

Same error here while trying to install MSG Data Manager Update.......?

Regards,

Christian

Am 07.05.18 um 22:29 schrieb James Brown:

[...]

Alan Sewards

Hi folks,

    I had the same errors in installing 3.1.8 and 3.1.10 MSGDM. Happily, the install proceeded and seemed to work correctly if I clicked IGNORE when the error message appeared. I have seen this happen before but not for a long time and I don't remember what I did at that time (I think I may have deleted the existing files). I still have the older version of Win10 (1709)

Best regards - Alan S+

--
Alan Sewards
--

James Brown

Thanks to Alan and Christian for confirmation.
I too did the 'ignore' route but wasn't sure whether the ignored files were updated versions and needf ul for the new version,
Cheers
James

On 08/05/2018 08:42, Alan Sewards wrote:
[...]

============================

James, Christian,

In theory, you would need to close /all/ programs using shared DLLs to ensure that they could be updated. As there has been no change, you can ignore the error message. The beta version doesn't have the problem as only changed files are in the Zip archive.

Both LLHjpeg.dll and WaveletDLL.dll reside in the MSG Data Manager directory, so unless you have multiple copies of the MSG Data Manager in the same directory I don't quite see how the problem arises. You will, of course, have closed the MSG Data Manager before attempting to update!

I will update the install to try and bypass some DLLs next time. Please let me know directly if you would like to test the updated version.

James Brown

On 08/05/2018 09:15, David J Taylor via Groups.Io wrote:
[...]

I think the clue is in the little word 'all' ;-))

I probably had the RSS version still running though had closed the main manager - so thanks for the detective work again David! Will watch that in the future.

In the light of that reconstruction of events and the remarks regarding not needing updated dll's I will leave the updated version unless it is of benefit - in which case of course - very happy to oblige,

Many thanks,

James

Alan Banks

I just shut down everything and installation resumed. I thought this was normal behaviour.

Alan

On 08/05/2018 08:15, David J Taylor via Groups.Io wrote:

In theory, you would need to close /all/ programs using shared DLLs to ensure that they could be updated.  As there has been no change, you can ignore the error message.  The beta version doesn't have the problem as only changed files are in the Zip archive.

David J Taylor

In case anyone wants to try an updated installer:

http://www.satsignal.eu/software/msg-data-manager.3.1.10-A.zip

Will require the running program to be shut down (of course), but you shouldn't get any complaints about DLLs. The program contents are the same as msg-data-manager.3.1.10.zip

BTW: I tried to reproduce the problem on a test PC but was unable to....

Ferdinand Valk

David,

Maybe my ignorance, but if nothing has changed besides of the exe file, why this time no beta was made available but the full setup file instead? This complicates considerably updating several machines at a time.

Cheers,
Ferdinand

[...]

===============================

Ferdinand,

Ah, what I meant was that the .exe file and related files which are installed are exactly the same as those from the installer released a few days back. There is no new function in the program with the -A installer. It is only the installer itself (also an executable file!) which has changed, and it should not now attempt to update the unchanged support DLLs.

All,

On this topic, my general policy is to provide beta updates for each and every small change so that users can get the benefit as soon as possible, but the Help information and other files aren't updated. These beta updates are Zip files with only the changed contents. When the number of cumulative beta updates has become "excessive" I release a formal version update which is an installer providing /all/ the files ready packaged providing a "click to install" function.

I know that many users won't update from the Zip files perhaps because they aren't familiar or comfortable with them, and they prefer the full single-click installer.

I'm trying to meet the requirements of the majority of the users, but I know "you can't please all the folk all the time!".

Alan Sewards

Hi David,

    I normally only stop the program I am updating (being lazy) and leave the others running, which in this case are MSGDM/RSS, Metop Mgr and AVHRR Mgr. I also use beta versions if they exist. So this explains why normally I don't get the error messages (I've used a beta) and why I did this time, and why deleting the files worked.

Best regards - Alan S