Date   

not much more progress

Robert Moore
 

A lot of effort by two engineers this morning resulted in raising the SNR to 8.2

I’m getting perfect HRIT imagery and broken RSS. Metop-B seems to be in a loop repeating the same GAC pass over and again. Nothing at all for Metop-C. So, looking a bit bleak.

Second engineer said he thought treetops might be just clipping the signal. He sent the attached photo of his monitor but I don’t know if this adds much to the sum total of our understanding without being able to see the scale on the instrument. They misunderstood the request for a photo and when I received them an hour or so later, they were no good for our purposes – wish they’d given them to me straight away while they had the ladder up.

Just wanted to check, I think there may be a new MDM: I’m currently on v3/1/14.1311

 

Robert

 


RSS monthly Meteosat-10 mission interruptions

David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🇪🇺
 

A reminder that it's the monthly 48 hour Rapid Scan interruption next week:

https://www.eumetsat.int/rapid-scanning-service-schedule

"These temporary outages in the service are used to exercise the Meteosat
SEVIRI instrument mechanics in Full Earth Scan (FES) mode, which is required to
keep the mechanism in good repair. During FES mode, image data and
meteorological products are not disseminated to users. These temporary outage
periods always start and end at 09:00 UTC.

"The baseline operational period for the RSS is 26 days of continuous rapid
scanning, followed by two days of full earth disc scanning, over 11 months per
year."

Cheers,
David
--
SatSignal Software - Quality software for you
Web: https://www.satsignal.eu
Email: david-taylor@...
Twitter: @gm8arv


Re: some progress

Ernst Lobsiger
 

On Thu, Jul 7, 2022 at 02:37 AM, James Brown wrote:
And let us hope it was precision engineered!

JB
 
Robert,

if the dish was "precision engineered"  and looking again at your 75mm lens shot it could well be that you received E10A via a first sidelobe on the western side. Fingers crossed ...

Ernst


Re: some progress

Robert Moore
 

Ernst, I have a new engineer coming Sunday mid-forenoon – fingers crossed. I haven’t really kept up with current developments, having no reception, and I suspect a lot has changed since Christmas. Just assuming I get excellent SNR tomorrow, will I need to make any immediate changes to my cast-client.channels_bas.ini file? Prior to breakdown I had MSG HRIT, both GOES data, Himawari, IODC, Metop-B and -C. I know some of these have moved, but given that I’m getting (poor) reception on MSG HRIT at present I really need to see perhaps two other channels if I get a good SNR. Will I have enough on a seven-month-old *.ini file to get at least some of these? Full catch-up and editing once I get a signal.

If the SNR is really good, I’ll ask for a second cable, in anticipation of future developments.

 

Thanks for your continued help, I have all your notes edited, ready for the new man.

 

Robert

 

 

From: MSG-1@groups.io <MSG-1@groups.io> On Behalf Of Robert Moore
Sent: 07 July 2022 10:01
To: MSG-1@groups.io
Subject: Re: [MSG-1] some progress

 

OK, misunderstood you Ernst. I’ll add the email below to the instructions I’m preparing for the new engineer. I don’t remember any instructions with the dish, it just came from a warehouse near Manchester the day after I ordered it. All cardboard and sticky tape – no instructions!

 

Robert

 

 

From: MSG-1@groups.io <MSG-1@groups.io> On Behalf Of Ernst Lobsiger via groups.io
Sent: 07 July 2022 06:53
To: MSG-1@groups.io
Subject: Re: [MSG-1] some progress

 

Robert,

I didn't suggest your dish is upside down :-). But when you buy a dish you normally have to assemble it by screwing the mount to it and also the LNB arm. Mecanically it makes sense how it looks on your pictures now and the dish elevation looks about as expected. But the 4 screws that hold the parabola blade seem to allow Murphy to do his job. There are also antennas that have two elevation markings and depending on the elevation range you must use scale one or scale two and maybe even assemble the mount differently. And tuning elevation is as sensitive as azimuth. So all I want to say is: Your next engineer must double check your antenna elevation as well. And for that purpose it's always helpful if you can find the original assembly manual for that dish. We certainly all hope that with 'one thing at a time' you can get back to a far better SNR and receive your GOES16 images again.

Best regards,
Ernst


Re: GOES-18

g-woolf@sky.com
 

Hi David

Thanks - I missed that

Kind Regards

Graham


Re: GOES-18

David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🇪🇺
 

On 16/07/2022 10:02, g-woolf@... via groups.io wrote:
Hi David

I see that GOES-18 is about to be disseminated over Eumetcast

https://www.eumetsat.int/parallel-dissemination-goes-18-abi-data
<https://www.eumetsat.int/parallel-dissemination-goes-18-abi-data>

Will there be an update to the GOES ABI Manager to take the data ?

Kind Regards

Graham
Graham,

Yes! The update was last month! Please see:

https://www.satsignal.eu/software/updates.html

It works with the EUMETSAT test data, but obviously not tested with the real
data which doesn't start until late July. I only tested with two files from
the 368 available in the 8 GB download!

Cheer,
David
--
SatSignal Software - Quality software for you
Web: https://www.satsignal.eu
Email: david-taylor@...
Twitter: @gm8arv


GOES-18

g-woolf@sky.com
 

Hi David

I see that GOES-18 is about to be disseminated over Eumetcast

https://www.eumetsat.int/parallel-dissemination-goes-18-abi-data

Will there be an update to the GOES ABI Manager to take the data ?

Kind Regards

Graham


Re: Mrtg problem

James Brown
 

Thank you Graham. 
Yes indeed re Windows 11, and specifically Eumetcast data and all our probs. 


James

On 14 Jul 2022, at 16:05, g-woolf@... via groups.io <g-woolf@...> wrote:

Hi James

If you mean Windows 11 performance then yes but not a lot

It loads faster, takes up a bit less space on the HDD and seems to be less processor intensive

Thats just a gut feel - I have done any extensive testing

I dont run Tellicast on this PC - that runs on a separate Linux box , however I do run all Davids software and all my python scripts on Windows 11 and average CPU usage is around 2% with an I7 processor

Regards

Graham

Regards

Graham


Re: Mrtg problem

seggins2000
 

Thanks everyone. However the mrtg that is not running is on a Windows 10 machine. My windows 11 machine has it running properly.
The error message results from an attempt to run a .cfg file.
So....what does the message signify? Is it the work directory it can't find?
Thanks again.
Regards
John at Cullercoats.

-----Original Message-----
From: MSG-1@groups.io <MSG-1@groups.io> On Behalf Of James Brown
Sent: 14 July 2022 14:08
To: MSG-1@groups.io
Subject: Re: [MSG-1] Mrtg problem

Very glad you are both ahead of the curve!
Won’t move for a while though Windows reports my Dell computers as being compatible.
Cheers,

JB

On 14 Jul 2022, at 15:01, David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🇪🇺 via groups.io <david-taylor@...> wrote:

On 14/07/2022 14:06, James Brown wrote:
Helpful. Thanks David. Was wondering who might be pioneers of a complete system on 11.

Cheers,

JB
Yes, I was wondering that, too! Although I think there are already a
number of
Windows-11 EUMETCast users, some in this group.

My MRTG issue was using a different version of Perl which didn't
support a function needed to get the system uptime.

John is using the Developer version of Win-11, so nearer to alpha then
beta, and that could be the problem. Last time we had an issue like
that was the TBS drivers not working (IIRC) and Microsoft fixed that
problem after a few of us reported it.

Cheers,
David
--
SatSignal Software - Quality software for you
Web: https://www.satsignal.eu
Email: david-taylor@...
Twitter: @gm8arv





Re: Mrtg problem

g-woolf@sky.com
 

Hi James

If you mean Windows 11 performance then yes but not a lot

It loads faster, takes up a bit less space on the HDD and seems to be less processor intensive

Thats just a gut feel - I have done any extensive testing

I dont run Tellicast on this PC - that runs on a separate Linux box , however I do run all Davids software and all my python scripts on Windows 11 and average CPU usage is around 2% with an I7 processor

Regards

Graham

Regards

Graham


Re: Mrtg problem

James Brown
 

Thank you. 
Is it a valid query in this group to ask if you have noticed any change in performance - for better or worse?

Cheers,

James. 

On 14 Jul 2022, at 15:12, g-woolf@... via groups.io <g-woolf@...> wrote:

Hi

I am running the latest Windows 11 Insider Dev build and I dont have any problems with MRTG

It runs perfectly

Kind Regards

Graham


Re: Mrtg problem

g-woolf@sky.com
 

Hi

I am running the latest Windows 11 Insider Dev build and I dont have any problems with MRTG

It runs perfectly

Kind Regards

Graham


Re: Mrtg problem

James Brown
 

Very glad you are both ahead of the curve!
Won’t move for a while though Windows reports my Dell computers as being compatible.
Cheers,

JB

On 14 Jul 2022, at 15:01, David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🇪🇺 via groups.io <david-taylor@...> wrote:

On 14/07/2022 14:06, James Brown wrote:
Helpful. Thanks David. Was wondering who might be pioneers of a complete system on 11.

Cheers,

JB
Yes, I was wondering that, too! Although I think there are already a number of
Windows-11 EUMETCast users, some in this group.

My MRTG issue was using a different version of Perl which didn't support a
function needed to get the system uptime.

John is using the Developer version of Win-11, so nearer to alpha then beta,
and that could be the problem. Last time we had an issue like that was the TBS
drivers not working (IIRC) and Microsoft fixed that problem after a few of us
reported it.

Cheers,
David
--
SatSignal Software - Quality software for you
Web: https://www.satsignal.eu
Email: david-taylor@...
Twitter: @gm8arv





Re: Mrtg problem

David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🇪🇺
 

On 14/07/2022 14:06, James Brown wrote:
Helpful. Thanks David. Was wondering who might be pioneers of a complete system on 11.

Cheers,

JB
Yes, I was wondering that, too! Although I think there are already a number of
Windows-11 EUMETCast users, some in this group.

My MRTG issue was using a different version of Perl which didn't support a
function needed to get the system uptime.

John is using the Developer version of Win-11, so nearer to alpha then beta,
and that could be the problem. Last time we had an issue like that was the TBS
drivers not working (IIRC) and Microsoft fixed that problem after a few of us
reported it.

Cheers,
David
--
SatSignal Software - Quality software for you
Web: https://www.satsignal.eu
Email: david-taylor@...
Twitter: @gm8arv


Re: Mrtg problem

James Brown
 

Helpful. Thanks David. Was wondering who might be pioneers of a complete system on 11.

Cheers,

JB

On 14 Jul 2022, at 14:00, David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🇪🇺 via groups.io <david-taylor@...> wrote:

On 14/07/2022 12:14, seggins2000 via groups.io wrote:
I have been really stuck with this and am unable to find a solution (getting a
bit old for these challenges!)
Trying to run on a Windows 10 machine ( which it worked on for a few years) it
get this error:
[]
7200 0 4 0.1 %Y-%b-%d 2 i C:\Tools\MRTG\mrtg-2.17.4\BDAD\dvbdataex-snr-year.png
-180 -180 500 100 1 1 1 86400 0 4 0.1 %Y-%b-%d 2) did not work: No such file or
directory

Can anyone help please?
Regards
John Say
John,

My MRTG (although not using EUMETCast yet) is working fine on Windows-11. I
seed a space in this line:

2022-07-14 10:32:42: WARNING: rateup (C:/Tools/MRTG/mrtg-2.17.4/bin\rateup
C:\Tools\MRTG\mrtg-2.17.4\BDAD\ dvbdataex-snr

here:

C:\Tools\MRTG\mrtg-2.17.4\BDAD\ dvbdataex-snr

Likely not the issue, but....

If there are space in path or file names you may need quotation marks.

Cheers,
David
--
SatSignal Software - Quality software for you
Web: https://www.satsignal.eu
Email: david-taylor@...
Twitter: @gm8arv





Re: Mrtg problem

David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🇪🇺
 

On 14/07/2022 12:14, seggins2000 via groups.io wrote:
I have been really stuck with this and am unable to find a solution (getting a
bit old for these challenges!)
Trying to run on a Windows 10 machine ( which it worked on for a few years) it
get this error:
[]
7200 0 4 0.1 %Y-%b-%d 2 i C:\Tools\MRTG\mrtg-2.17.4\BDAD\dvbdataex-snr-year.png
-180 -180 500 100 1 1 1 86400 0 4 0.1 %Y-%b-%d 2) did not work: No such file or
directory

Can anyone help please?
Regards
John Say
John,

My MRTG (although not using EUMETCast yet) is working fine on Windows-11. I
seed a space in this line:

2022-07-14 10:32:42: WARNING: rateup (C:/Tools/MRTG/mrtg-2.17.4/bin\rateup
C:\Tools\MRTG\mrtg-2.17.4\BDAD\ dvbdataex-snr

here:

C:\Tools\MRTG\mrtg-2.17.4\BDAD\ dvbdataex-snr

Likely not the issue, but....

If there are space in path or file names you may need quotation marks.

Cheers,
David
--
SatSignal Software - Quality software for you
Web: https://www.satsignal.eu
Email: david-taylor@...
Twitter: @gm8arv


Mrtg problem

seggins2000
 

I have been really stuck with this and am unable to find a solution (getting a bit old for these challenges!)
Trying to run on a Windows 10 machine ( which it worked on for a few years) it get this error:

C:\Users\seggi\Desktop>C:
 
C:\Users\seggi\Desktop>cd c:\Tools\MRTG\mrtg-2.17.4\bin
 
c:\Tools\MRTG\mrtg-2.17.4\bin>perl mrtg BDAD.cfg
Daemonizing MRTG ...
Do Not close this window. Or MRTG will die
2022-07-14 10:32:42: WARNING: rateup (C:/Tools/MRTG/mrtg-2.17.4/bin\rateup C:\Tools\MRTG\mrtg-2.17.4\BDAD\ dvbdataex-snr 1657794762 -z g 119 119 180 c #00cc00 #0000ff #006600 #ff00ff -o l "[SNR dB]" Z GMT k 1000 i C:\Tools\MRTG\mrtg-2.17.4\BDAD\dvbdataex-snr-day.png -180 -180 500 100 1 1 1 300 0 4 0.1 %Y-%b-%d 2 i C:\Tools\MRTG\mrtg-2.17.4\BDAD\dvbdataex-snr-week.png -180 -180 500 100 1 1 1 1800 0 4 0.1 %Y-%b-%d 2 i C:\Tools\MRTG\mrtg-2.17.4\BDAD\dvbdataex-snr-month.png -180 -180 500 100 1 1 1 7200 0 4 0.1 %Y-%b-%d 2 i C:\Tools\MRTG\mrtg-2.17.4\BDAD\dvbdataex-snr-year.png -180 -180 500 100 1 1 1 86400 0 4 0.1 %Y-%b-%d 2) did not work: No such file or directory

Can anyone help please?
Regards
John Say


Re: some progress

James Brown
 

And let us hope it was precision engineered!

JB

On 7 Jul 2022, at 10:00, Robert Moore <rsmoore@...> wrote:



OK, misunderstood you Ernst. I’ll add the email below to the instructions I’m preparing for the new engineer. I don’t remember any instructions with the dish, it just came from a warehouse near Manchester the day after I ordered it. All cardboard and sticky tape – no instructions!

 

Robert

 

 

From: MSG-1@groups.io <MSG-1@groups.io> On Behalf Of Ernst Lobsiger via groups.io
Sent: 07 July 2022 06:53
To: MSG-1@groups.io
Subject: Re: [MSG-1] some progress

 

Robert,

I didn't suggest your dish is upside down :-). But when you buy a dish you normally have to assemble it by screwing the mount to it and also the LNB arm. Mecanically it makes sense how it looks on your pictures now and the dish elevation looks about as expected. But the 4 screws that hold the parabola blade seem to allow Murphy to do his job. There are also antennas that have two elevation markings and depending on the elevation range you must use scale one or scale two and maybe even assemble the mount differently. And tuning elevation is as sensitive as azimuth. So all I want to say is: Your next engineer must double check your antenna elevation as well. And for that purpose it's always helpful if you can find the original assembly manual for that dish. We certainly all hope that with 'one thing at a time' you can get back to a far better SNR and receive your GOES16 images again.

Best regards,
Ernst


Re: some progress

Robert Moore
 

OK, misunderstood you Ernst. I’ll add the email below to the instructions I’m preparing for the new engineer. I don’t remember any instructions with the dish, it just came from a warehouse near Manchester the day after I ordered it. All cardboard and sticky tape – no instructions!

 

Robert

 

 

From: MSG-1@groups.io <MSG-1@groups.io> On Behalf Of Ernst Lobsiger via groups.io
Sent: 07 July 2022 06:53
To: MSG-1@groups.io
Subject: Re: [MSG-1] some progress

 

Robert,

I didn't suggest your dish is upside down :-). But when you buy a dish you normally have to assemble it by screwing the mount to it and also the LNB arm. Mecanically it makes sense how it looks on your pictures now and the dish elevation looks about as expected. But the 4 screws that hold the parabola blade seem to allow Murphy to do his job. There are also antennas that have two elevation markings and depending on the elevation range you must use scale one or scale two and maybe even assemble the mount differently. And tuning elevation is as sensitive as azimuth. So all I want to say is: Your next engineer must double check your antenna elevation as well. And for that purpose it's always helpful if you can find the original assembly manual for that dish. We certainly all hope that with 'one thing at a time' you can get back to a far better SNR and receive your GOES16 images again.

Best regards,
Ernst


Re: some progress

Ernst Lobsiger
 

Robert,

I didn't suggest your dish is upside down :-). But when you buy a dish you normally have to assemble it by screwing the mount to it and also the LNB arm. Mecanically it makes sense how it looks on your pictures now and the dish elevation looks about as expected. But the 4 screws that hold the parabola blade seem to allow Murphy to do his job. There are also antennas that have two elevation markings and depending on the elevation range you must use scale one or scale two and maybe even assemble the mount differently. And tuning elevation is as sensitive as azimuth. So all I want to say is: Your next engineer must double check your antenna elevation as well. And for that purpose it's always helpful if you can find the original assembly manual for that dish. We certainly all hope that with 'one thing at a time' you can get back to a far better SNR and receive your GOES16 images again.

Best regards,
Ernst

741 - 760 of 33922