Date   

Re: EUTMETCast DVB-S2 Unable to lock

David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🇪🇺
 

Thank you very much everyone!
Your help has been very useful and instructive.

I played around with the azimuth, with the tuner set at 1512.500MHz, to see what signal I could get.
The receiver locked on 4 different satellites. I could easily observe distinctive peaks of signal power around each location.
I swept about 60 degrees around South. Three were on the edges of that angle window, one was close to the theoretical direction estimated via www.dishpointer.com + landscape reference.
This method is a good start, but I found it difficult to visualize a central axe on the dish to aim at those references in one view.
So I assumed it was reasonable to end up with a couple a degrees off (5-10) to the actual observed power peak with signal lock.

The fact this "locking" position is a bit to the right of the supposed Hotbird 13°E position corroborate my idea that I found the correct satellite.

With this on field observation, I am now thinking that I would probably not see a significant power drop between Eutelsat 9A and Eutelsat 10A considering they are 1° apart from each other and there was clearly no such signal peak at this frequency in a 15° angle window around.

Here is my new signal lock:
RX1: Active, Locked
EUMETCast DVB-S2 T1 1512.500 MHz, DVB-S2 8PSK 3/4, 29.996 Msps, CCM, 11.8 dB

RX Status 1, Configuration 2
============================
1. Tuner Status Locked
2. Demodulator Status Locked
3. Transport Status Not Locked
4. Demodulator Frequency Offset 2348 KHz
5. Demodulator Es/N0 11.7 dB
6. Signal Input Level -28.0 dBm
7. Demodulator BER 0.00 e-7
8. Bad Frame Count 0
9. Bad Packet Count 0
A. Demodulator Link Margin 3.5 dB
B. Modulation Order and Code Rate DVB-S2 8PSK 3/4
C. Link Adaptation CCM
D. Pilots On
E. Frame Type Normal
F. Roll Off 35%
G. FPGA Loaded

Although I realized afterward the 22KHz was ON during my azimuth scan, with a tuner frequency set at 1512.500MHz, I saw the demodulator frequency offset dropping when I desabled the 22KHz, SNR increased, and the signal status remained on "locked". So I guess this is not a problem.

Transmission Standard is correct (DVB-S2), modulation is correct (8PSK), code rate not exactly (3/4 instead of 3/5), but it was varying a lot in the beginning.
I believe I am now very closely pointing at Eutelsat 9 or 10.

Unfortunately, as you can see the Transport Status is still Not Locked, while I do receive some packets.

RX1 Transport Statistics
=======================
No. MPEG MPE MAC Mismatch MPE CRC Errors

1. 110522 49138 45634 3504
2. 3384 3382 3362 20
3. 23900533 23900533 0 23900538
4. 5134 5129 5099 30
5. 13 0 0 0
6. 17 43 0 5
7. 1752 1743 1740 3
8. 1493180 8950 0 8948

RX Transport Filter Table
=========================

Slot. PID Ethernet Address Status IP Multicast
1. 100 CC-F6-7A-04-CA-B8 Enabled Pass
2. 300 CC-F6-7A-04-CA-B8 Enabled Pass
3. 301 CC-F6-7A-04-CA-B8 Enabled Pass
4. 500 CC-F6-7A-04-CA-B8 Enabled Pass
5. 509 CC-F6-7A-04-CA-B8 Enabled Pass
6. 511 CC-F6-7A-04-CA-B8 Enabled Pass
7. 600 CC-F6-7A-04-CA-B8 Enabled Pass
8. 601 CC-F6-7A-04-CA-B8 Enabled Pass

What does the Transport Status actually means?

Greetings,
Quentin
============================================

Quentin,

In the report, Transport Status should be Locked.

You should be seeing the RX status alternate between:

EUMETCast DVB-S2 1513.000 MHz, DVB-S2 16APSK 2/3, 32.993 Msps, ACM, 12.1 dB
EUMETCast DVB-S2 1513.000 MHz, DVB-S2 8PSK 3/5, 32.993 Msps, ACM, 12.0 dB

As both the bit rate and 8PSK are wrong, I think you may still be on the wrong satellite. If the signal is weak, perhaps there will be no 16APSK data received.

As you say, the signal is marginal, so it may take some time to find and optimise it!

Cheers,
David
--
SatSignal Software - Quality software for you
Web: https://www.satsignal.eu
Email: david-taylor@blueyonder.co.uk
Twitter: @gm8arv


Re: EUTMETCast DVB-S2 Unable to lock

Quentin P.A. Leroy
 

Thank you very much everyone!
Your help has been very useful and instructive.

I played around with the azimuth, with the tuner set at 1512.500MHz, to see what signal I could get.
The receiver locked on 4 different satellites. I could easily observe distinctive peaks of signal power around each location.
I swept about 60 degrees around South. Three were on the edges of that angle window, one was close to the theoretical direction estimated via www.dishpointer.com + landscape reference.
This method is a good start, but I found it difficult to visualize a central axe on the dish to aim at those references in one view.
So I assumed it was reasonable to end up with a couple a degrees off (5-10) to the actual observed power peak with signal lock.

The fact this "locking" position is a bit to the right of the supposed Hotbird 13°E position corroborate my idea that I found the correct satellite.

With this on field observation, I am now thinking that I would probably not see a significant power drop between Eutelsat  9A and Eutelsat  10A considering they are 1° apart from each other and there was clearly no such signal peak at this frequency in a 15° angle window around.

Here is my new signal lock:
RX1: Active, Locked
 EUMETCast DVB-S2 T1 1512.500 MHz, DVB-S2 8PSK 3/4, 29.996 Msps, CCM, 11.8 dB

RX Status 1, Configuration 2
============================
1. Tuner Status                                  Locked
2. Demodulator Status                        Locked
3. Transport Status                             Not Locked
4. Demodulator Frequency Offset      2348 KHz
5. Demodulator Es/N0                        11.7 dB
6. Signal Input Level                           -28.0 dBm
7. Demodulator BER                           0.00 e-7
8. Bad Frame Count                           0
9. Bad Packet Count                          0
A. Demodulator Link Margin               3.5 dB
B. Modulation Order and Code Rate      DVB-S2 8PSK 3/4
C. Link Adaptation                            CCM
D. Pilots                                            On
E. Frame Type                                  Normal
F. Roll Off                                          35%
G. FPGA                                           Loaded

Although I realized afterward the 22KHz was ON during my azimuth scan, with a tuner frequency set at 1512.500MHz, I saw the demodulator frequency offset dropping when I desabled the 22KHz, SNR increased, and the signal status remained on "locked". So I guess this is not a problem.

Transmission Standard is correct (DVB-S2), modulation is correct (8PSK), code rate not exactly (3/4 instead of 3/5), but it was varying a lot in the beginning.
I believe I am now very closely pointing at Eutelsat 9 or 10.

Unfortunately, as you can see the Transport Status is still Not Locked, while I do receive some packets.

RX1 Transport Statistics
=======================
No.           MPEG           MPE       MAC Mismatch    MPE CRC Errors

  1.        110522          49138             45634              3504
  2.        3384              3382               3362                20
  3.        23900533      23900533       0                      23900538
  4.        5134              5129               5099                30
  5.        13                  0                     0                      0
  6.        17                  43                   0                      5
  7.        1752              1743               1740                3
  8.        1493180        8950                0                     8948

RX Transport Filter Table
=========================

Slot.    PID     Ethernet Address           Status      IP Multicast
   1.    100    CC-F6-7A-04-CA-B8          Enabled            Pass
   2.    300    CC-F6-7A-04-CA-B8          Enabled            Pass
   3.    301    CC-F6-7A-04-CA-B8          Enabled            Pass
   4.    500    CC-F6-7A-04-CA-B8          Enabled            Pass
   5.    509    CC-F6-7A-04-CA-B8          Enabled            Pass
   6.    511    CC-F6-7A-04-CA-B8          Enabled            Pass
   7.    600    CC-F6-7A-04-CA-B8          Enabled            Pass
   8.    601    CC-F6-7A-04-CA-B8          Enabled            Pass

What does the Transport Status actually means?

Greetings,
Quentin


Re: XRIT2PIC.

Ernst Lobsiger
 

On Tue, Sep 1, 2020 at 07:14 AM, R. Alblas wrote:
Generated files may end in any location you want, so you can choose a writeable location.
Rob

I remember from years back that processed files had to be moved to a /done directory.
This will not be able on the source side of the receiver. But I will give RSS a try, thanks.

There is still the registry question and one not so fine experience with Metop:

When I try to do a Metop-A/C image in EPS-10 the program crashes in preview
even with only 3 segments choosen. (YES I added an up to date weather.txt)..

Best regards
Ernst


Re: XRIT2PIC.

R. Alblas
 

Ernst,

Generated files may end in any location you want, so you can choose a writeable location.
See preferences, tab Direcories, 'Destination'-directory.
But as you have it now, to make a multi-day movie it would need to look in several directories in one run.
I remember that I did have an idea to let xrit2pic look in a directory tree instead of one location, so it can read all files in locations Year\Mon\Day. I'll have a look at that.

A work-around would be to make links from all files in all needed directories into one directory, but that's not so nice.

Regards,
Rob.


On 09/01/2020 03:35 PM, Ernst Lobsiger via groups.io wrote:
On Tue, Sep 1, 2020 at 05:50 AM, R. Alblas wrote:
Ernst,
You should define the exact and full directory where the received files are. So:
Z:\Year\Mon\Day

Thanks Rob

My files on the GNU/Linux receivers might not be organized the best way for XRIT2PIC.exe.
They are grouped as Hugo does it and also for easy file deletion per day of age (no find...).

On the Windows side e.g. MSG4 today is in
Z:\Channel_2\2020\09\01\
but yesterday's MSG4 files are in
Z:\Channel_2\2020\08\31\
and I got a dozen EUMETCast Channels on Z:\. And all directories and files are read only.

Is there a way to make movies with XRIT2PIC in such a Windows 10  environment?

Very different question: Does XRIT2PIC write something to the Windows 10 registry?

Best regards
Ernst



Re: XRIT2PIC.

Ernst Lobsiger
 

On Tue, Sep 1, 2020 at 05:50 AM, R. Alblas wrote:
Ernst,
You should define the exact and full directory where the received files are. So:
Z:\Year\Mon\Day

Thanks Rob

My files on the GNU/Linux receivers might not be organized the best way for XRIT2PIC.exe.
They are grouped as Hugo does it and also for easy file deletion per day of age (no find...).

On the Windows side e.g. MSG4 today is in
Z:\Channel_2\2020\09\01\
but yesterday's MSG4 files are in
Z:\Channel_2\2020\08\31\
and I got a dozen EUMETCast Channels on Z:\. And all directories and files are read only.

Is there a way to make movies with XRIT2PIC in such a Windows 10  environment?

Very different question: Does XRIT2PIC write something to the Windows 10 registry?

Best regards
Ernst



Re: XRIT2PIC.

Douglas Deans
 

On 01/09/2020 13:16, Ernst Lobsiger via groups.io wrote:
On Tue, Sep 1, 2020 at 04:34 AM, Douglas Deans wrote:
Rob just to confirm that I now have version 2020.3b but the problem
remains as before.
Douglas
I had no problems to get first images here. Only RGB images including hrv are cropped at the left.
Have you setup the XRIT decompression dll and is it in the same directory as the XRIT2PIC.exe?
Regards
Ernst
==================================================================

Yes Ernst I downloaded the setup_decompr.exe and installed it.
I assume the wvt.dll is the required file and it is in the same directory as the program exe.
Completely puzzled with this. Probably something simple.

Regards,
Douglas.


Re: XRIT2PIC.

R. Alblas
 

Ernst,
You should define the exact and full directory where the received files are. So:
Z:\Year\Mon\Day

In the browser you should then see the files.

Regards,
Rob.


On 09/01/2020 01:54 PM, Ernst Lobsiger via groups.io wrote:
Rob and Douglas

I have used XRIT2PIC 10 years ago under GNU/Linux and the a couple of years the cmd line version for batch processing.
Just for curiosity I now installed your latest version. The setup has always been somewhat special as I do not let XRIT2PIC
handle the received file system. Now I installed SAMBA on one of my GNU/Linux receivers and it took me 1 hour to get the
first RGB previews under Windows 10. My main question is now for Rob: How to setup the source directory. It is read only!

Z:\ Channel_2\2020\09\01\All EUMETCast received Files of Channel_2 from today              Z:\   is a SBM share over CIFS

All EUMETCast Channels have root Z:\ and then Year\Mon\Day\Files                      I store one week of files on the receiver.

If I just say Z:\ is the source of the files XRIT2PIC does not seem to setup a file tree. So what are my easiest possibilities?


Regards
Ernst
            


Re: XRIT2PIC.

Ernst Lobsiger
 

On Tue, Sep 1, 2020 at 04:34 AM, Douglas Deans wrote:
Rob just to confirm that I now have version 2020.3b but the problem remains as before.
Douglas

I had no problems to get first images here. Only RGB images including hrv are cropped at the left.

Have you setup the XRIT decompression dll and is it in the same directory as the XRIT2PIC.exe?

Regards
Ernst


Re: XRIT2PIC.

Ernst Lobsiger
 

Rob and Douglas

I have used XRIT2PIC 10 years ago under GNU/Linux and the a couple of years the cmd line version for batch processing.
Just for curiosity I now installed your latest version. The setup has always been somewhat special as I do not let XRIT2PIC
handle the received file system. Now I installed SAMBA on one of my GNU/Linux receivers and it took me 1 hour to get the
first RGB previews under Windows 10. My main question is now for Rob: How to setup the source directory. It is read only!

Z:\ Channel_2\2020\09\01\All EUMETCast received Files of Channel_2 from today              Z:\   is a SBM share over CIFS

All EUMETCast Channels have root Z:\ and then Year\Mon\Day\Files                      I store one week of files on the receiver.

If I just say Z:\ is the source of the files XRIT2PIC does not seem to setup a file tree. So what are my easiest possibilities?


Regards
Ernst
            


Re: XRIT2PIC.

Douglas Deans
 

On 01/09/2020 12:13, Douglas Deans via groups.io wrote:
On 01/09/2020 12:03, R. Alblas wrote:
  Douglas,
I assume you are using the newest version, i.e. 2020.3b? I'll double-check this evening that nothing is wrong with that version, but as far as I know others are using it.
Deselecting colour and selecting one channel, does that work? (Selecting a group, with all channels in it, should give another pop-up, if you deselect colour.)

Regards,
Rob.
===============================================================
I thought I was but on checking it actually says 2020.1e so I will check for the update and report back.
May be later before I reply as I have an appointment.
Thanks again for your help.
Regards,
Douglas.
=====================================================================

Rob just to confirm that I now have version 2020.3b but the problem remains as before.

Regards,
Douglas.


Re: XRIT2PIC.

Douglas Deans
 

On 01/09/2020 12:03, R. Alblas wrote:
 Douglas,
I assume you are using the newest version, i.e. 2020.3b? I'll double-check this evening that nothing is wrong with that version, but as far as I know others are using it.
Deselecting colour and selecting one channel, does that work? (Selecting a group, with all channels in it, should give another pop-up, if you deselect colour.)
Regards,
Rob.
===============================================================

I thought I was but on checking it actually says 2020.1e so I will check for the update and report back.
May be later before I reply as I have an appointment.
Thanks again for your help.

Regards,
Douglas.


Re: XRIT2PIC.

R. Alblas
 

Douglas,
I assume you are using the newest version, i.e. 2020.3b? I'll double-check this evening that nothing is wrong with that version, but as far as I know others are using it.
Deselecting colour and selecting one channel, does that work? (Selecting a group, with all channels in it, should give another pop-up, if you deselect colour.)

Regards,
Rob.

On 09/01/2020 12:52 PM, Douglas Deans via groups.io wrote:
On 01/09/2020 11:25, R. Alblas wrote:
Douglas,

Does xrit2pic show a list of received files?
If you select a line in the list, and then do menu 'File->Fileinfo selected', does that show a clickable tree with file information?
What files do you have; MSG received from Eumetcast?
Note that MSG from Internet appears ro be hdf4 files (not hdf5), which xrit2pic doesn't support (yet).

Regards,
Rob.
=====================================================================

Hello Rob and thanks for the reply.
Yes I have a list of received files eg MSG4 HRIT etc.
When I expand one I see the channels, information etc., all correctly.
The tree expands correctly down to individual segments.
The file information on the trees is exactly as shown on your manual images.
The files are all Eumetcast received (not internet).
If I select the preview box and then a channel (or all) everything seems to work but the window is black.
Even with a single HRIT segment from one of the channels the window is black with no image.

Regards,
Douglas.






Re: XRIT2PIC.

Douglas Deans
 

On 01/09/2020 11:25, R. Alblas wrote:
 Douglas,
Does xrit2pic show a list of received files?
If you select a line in the list, and then do menu 'File->Fileinfo selected', does that show a clickable tree with file information?
What files do you have; MSG received from Eumetcast?
Note that MSG from Internet appears ro be hdf4 files (not hdf5), which xrit2pic doesn't support (yet).
Regards,
Rob.
=====================================================================

Hello Rob and thanks for the reply.
Yes I have a list of received files eg MSG4 HRIT etc.
When I expand one I see the channels, information etc., all correctly.
The tree expands correctly down to individual segments.
The file information on the trees is exactly as shown on your manual images.
The files are all Eumetcast received (not internet).
If I select the preview box and then a channel (or all) everything seems to work but the window is black.
Even with a single HRIT segment from one of the channels the window is black with no image.

Regards,
Douglas.


Re: XRIT2PIC.

R. Alblas
 

Douglas,

Does xrit2pic show a list of received files?
If you select a line in the list, and then do menu 'File->Fileinfo selected', does that show a clickable tree with file information?
What files do you have; MSG received from Eumetcast?
Note that MSG from Internet appears ro be hdf4 files (not hdf5), which xrit2pic doesn't support (yet).

Regards,
Rob.

On 09/01/2020 12:06 PM, Douglas Deans via groups.io wrote:
As a matter of interest is anyone successfully using XRIT2PIC with Windows 10.
I decided to give the program a try again and despite days of effort, all previews, images etc are empty ie black window.
There is no indication that anything is wrong.
The data I am using works with David's programs, Pytroll/SatPy and EumetcastView so is sound raw data.
Clearly I am missing something.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Regards,
Douglas.



XRIT2PIC.

Douglas Deans
 

As a matter of interest is anyone successfully using XRIT2PIC with Windows 10.
I decided to give the program a try again and despite days of effort, all previews, images etc are empty ie black window.
There is no indication that anything is wrong.
The data I am using works with David's programs, Pytroll/SatPy and EumetcastView so is sound raw data.
Clearly I am missing something.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Regards,
Douglas.


Re: EUTMETCast DVB-S2 Unable to lock

geojohnt@...
 

Hello Ernst,

Thanks for your comments.

Yes you are right, I'm sure this is the way professional satellite receivers are configured and makes sense for C-band and Ku-band reception configuration.

And I see the professional Novra receiver configures this way also.

Since the birth of EUMETCast via commercial Ku-band satellites, we have (mostly) used the Skystar 2 card and the DVBWorld receiver, both domestic (and cheap) satellite TV receivers so one - I - have become used to this.
Tuning/configuring, these via the 'IF frequency' would not have been a good idea for the 'general public' and myself.
As is the case today with domestic satellite TV receivers.

I see that TBS cards use the 'satellite frequency' in setting up also.

A question of 'old dog - new tricks?'

>(I checked the other transponders on LyngSat and FlySat of all satellites near Eutelsat 10A. It must be >Hotbird 13°E).

Yes, I too have looked at adjacent satellite frequencies.

Berst wishes,
John.

+++++++++++++++++++++

-----Original Message-----
From: Ernst Lobsiger via groups.io <ernst.lobsiger@...>
To: MSG-1@groups.io
Sent: Sat, 29 Aug 2020 13:34
Subject: Re: [MSG-1] EUTMETCast DVB-S2 Unable to lock

On Sat, Aug 29, 2020 at 03:08 AM, <geojohnt@...> wrote:
Ernst, one thing I find 'annoying' is that the SR1 uses the downconverted (LNB) frequency in setting up not the (as with satellite TV receivers) the 'satellite's transmitted frequency.
 
I wonder if this is also so with the TBS (and other) receivers?
John

The SR1 approach might be more universal. Think of L-Band LNBs for EUMETCast Africa with different LO Frequencies.
But of course you basically have to know how an Universal LNB works, what 13 / 18 Volt and 0 / 22 KHz signal changes.

Here is a GNU/Linux tuning file I copied from an archived version of a site I had pre 2014:

eurobird9-int:11977:h:0:27500::::
atlanticbird3:3732:h:0:11963::::
nss806:3803:h:0:27500::::
Eutelsat  9A TP 66 61.3Mbps-8PSK-TV:12034:vC34S1M5O20:0:27500:::
Eutelsat  9A TP 68 59.9Mbps-8PSK-TV+IP:12073:vC34S1M5O20:0:27500:::
Eutelsat  9A TP 69 61.3Mbps-8PSK-TV:12092:hC34S1M5O20:0:27500:::
Eutelsat 10A TP C1 49.6Mbps-QPSK-TV+IP:11221:vC56S1M2O20:0:30000:::
Eutelsat 10A TP C9 72.7Mbps-8PSK-TV:11387:vC56S1M5O20:0:30000:::
Eutelsat 10A TPC11 74.3Mbps-8PSK-TV:11428:vC56S1M5O20:0:30000:::

Yes, it directly uses the transponder frequencies. Not sure the rest looks more comprehensive to you though :-).

The first line shows that the profile Quentin can lock is meant for the old pre 2014 EUMETCast DVB-S on Eurobird 9°.
It seems this is still around on EUMETSAT's ftp site. Now in 2020 it accidentally fits to "Sky Italia" TV on Hotbird 13°E
(I checked the other transponders on LyngSat and FlySat of all satellites near Eutelsat 10A. It must be Hotbird 13°E).


Regards
Ernst



Re: Ayecka SR1 in a multiswitch system

David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🇪🇺
 

Ok, perhaps more information is needed.
So, here are my settings:


RX 1 Configuration
==================
1. Configuration Set 1 Active
2. Configuration Set 2 Not Active
3. Search Enable Enabled
4. Configuration Sets Management

1
Configuration Set 1
===================

1. Tuner Frequency 1512.500 MHz
2. Tuner Acquisition Bandwidth 10.000 MHz
3. Standard DVB-S2
4. Coding Mode VCM
5. Symbol Rate Auto
6. MODCOD Auto
7. RollOff Auto
8. Pilot Auto
9. Spectral Inversion Auto
A. Gold Code 0
B. Frame Type Auto
C. Encapsulation MPEG-TS
D. ISI 1
E. Filters Table
F. LNB power 18V
G. LNB compensation Off
H. 22 KHz Off
I. Status Active
J. Profile Name EUMETCast DVB-S2 T1
K. DiSEqC Switch Control SAT B
L. DiSEqC General Command 0x0
M. Tuner Filter Bandwidth 72.000 MHz



================================================================================
SR1c Serial No. 103777 30AAC Run Time: 0:15:45
SW Ver 1.05b265 V HW Ver 2.02 FW Ver 2.02b022 V BL Ver 1.01b15

RX1: Active, Not Locked
EUMETCast DVB-S2 T1 1512.500 MHz, Auto

RX2: Not Active, Not Locked
Profile 1 1100.000 MHz, Auto

================================================================================

As you can see I get no lock. What is wrong with my settings?

Matthias
===================================

Matthias,

I'm using a direct connection to an outlet of a quad LNB. The only significant difference I see is:

You:
*K. DiSEqC Switch Control SAT B*

Me:
K. DiSEqC Switch Control SAT A

Minor differences:

1. Tuner Frequency 1513.000 MHz
J. Profile Name EUMETCast DVB-S2

I have no experience of multi-switch systems. Looks like no signal is getting to the device. Can you try a direct connection just for a test? My headline shows a 12.2 dB Es/No value, yours shows none:

SR1c Serial No. 104670 30AAC Run Time: 330:43:10
SW Ver 1.05b264 V HW Ver 2.05 FW Ver 2.02b022 V BL Ver 1.01b14

RX1: Active, Locked
EUMETCast DVB-S2 1513.000 MHz, Dummy PLframe, 32.993 Msps, ACM, 12.2 dB

RX2: Not Active, Not Locked
Profile 1 1100.000 MHz, Auto

Cheers,
David
--
SatSignal Software - Quality software for you
Web: https://www.satsignal.eu
Email: david-taylor@blueyonder.co.uk
Twitter: @gm8arv


Re: TBS 5927

David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🇪🇺
 

I have been following some recent mails re the above in particular those
from David.
My own observations re the TBS 5927 over the last 1/2 years is that the
TBS 5925 produces slightly better results ( usually 0 missed and 0
missed/recovered ) which is disappointing given that the TBS 5927 is the
latest USB receiver with the updated hardware.

In the last 48 hours I updated the driver for the TBS 5927 to 1.0.0.7
and unfortunately it appears its performance has deteriorated a little
more, although I intend to test it for a longer period.

Regards
Ian.
===========================================

Ian,

Yes, the older PC I'm replacing had a TBS5925 which could produce 0/0 results, but the age of the PC (required spectre/meltdown patches) and the consequent slow file system produced other losses. I still have the TBS5925, though.

Changing the driver, and relocating the TBS5927 from a USB 3 to a USB 3 port hasn't made a significant difference. As you say, this sort of test requires measurements over days, rather than minutes or hours, unless something is obviously wrong.

Thanks for the report.

David
--
SatSignal Software - Quality software for you
Web: https://www.satsignal.eu
Email: david-taylor@blueyonder.co.uk
Twitter: @gm8arv


Re: EUTMETCast DVB-S2 Unable to lock

Ernst Lobsiger
 

On Sat, Aug 29, 2020 at 03:08 AM, <geojohnt@...> wrote:
Ernst, one thing I find 'annoying' is that the SR1 uses the downconverted (LNB) frequency in setting up not the (as with satellite TV receivers) the 'satellite's transmitted frequency.
 
I wonder if this is also so with the TBS (and other) receivers?
John

The SR1 approach might be more universal. Think of L-Band LNBs for EUMETCast Africa with different LO Frequencies.
But of course you basically have to know how an Universal LNB works, what 13 / 18 Volt and 0 / 22 KHz signal changes.

Here is a GNU/Linux tuning file I copied from an archived version of a site I had pre 2014:

eurobird9-int:11977:h:0:27500::::
atlanticbird3:3732:h:0:11963::::
nss806:3803:h:0:27500::::
Eutelsat  9A TP 66 61.3Mbps-8PSK-TV:12034:vC34S1M5O20:0:27500:::
Eutelsat  9A TP 68 59.9Mbps-8PSK-TV+IP:12073:vC34S1M5O20:0:27500:::
Eutelsat  9A TP 69 61.3Mbps-8PSK-TV:12092:hC34S1M5O20:0:27500:::
Eutelsat 10A TP C1 49.6Mbps-QPSK-TV+IP:11221:vC56S1M2O20:0:30000:::
Eutelsat 10A TP C9 72.7Mbps-8PSK-TV:11387:vC56S1M5O20:0:30000:::
Eutelsat 10A TPC11 74.3Mbps-8PSK-TV:11428:vC56S1M5O20:0:30000:::

Yes, it directly uses the transponder frequencies. Not sure the rest looks more comprehensive to you though :-).

The first line shows that the profile Quentin can lock is meant for the old pre 2014 EUMETCast DVB-S on Eurobird 9°.
It seems this is still around on EUMETSAT's ftp site. Now in 2020 it accidentally fits to "Sky Italia" TV on Hotbird 13°E
(I checked the other transponders on LyngSat and FlySat of all satellites near Eutelsat 10A. It must be Hotbird 13°E).

Regards
Ernst


TBS 5927

Ian Deans
 

I have been following some recent mails re the above in particular those from David.
My own observations re the TBS 5927 over the last 1/2 years is that the TBS 5925 produces slightly better results ( usually 0 missed and 0 missed/recovered ) which is disappointing given that the TBS 5927 is the latest USB receiver with the updated hardware.

In the last 48 hours I updated the driver for the TBS 5927 to 1.0.0.7 and unfortunately it appears its performance has deteriorated a little more, although I intend to test it for a longer period.

Regards
Ian.

1841 - 1860 of 31630