Date   

Re: Pytroll/SatPy for EUMETCast

Graham Woolf
 

Hi Douglas

I think that will be beyond my python skill set

Still you never know !!!

It has been great fun though and has kept me occupied during the lockdown

Kind Regards

Graham


Re: Pytroll/SatPy for EUMETCast

Douglas Deans
 

On 31/05/2020 16:43, Graham Woolf wrote:
Hi Ernst
Thank you so much for all you help and hard work . I am now going to set to over the next few days and produce a definitive set of scripts and try to automate them more effectively
If you feel like another project ....................
What I would really like to do is download an MSG4 westminster image every 15 minutes and then produce an animation of the images that auto updates every time a new image is recieved
What do you think ?
Kind Regards
Graham
======================================================================

What I think Graham is once you have succeeded do let me know how you did it !!! <smile>

Regards,
Douglas.


Re: Pytroll/SatPy for EUMETCast

Graham Woolf
 

Hi Ernst

Just another quick question - your NOAA and python images , do they need to be a certain number of pixels or do they resize automatically

Kind Regards

Graham


Re: Pytroll/SatPy for EUMETCast

Douglas Deans
 

On 31/05/2020 16:20, Ernst Lobsiger via groups.io wrote:
On Sat, May 30, 2020 at 12:09 PM, Douglas Deans wrote:
Thanks Ernst. Nice image.
Douglas and Graham,
as Windows 10 IM struggles with newlines I wrote an IM annotation that uses "-draw".
But it is very cumbersome to change a lot of numbers from sat to sat or area to area.
That's why I wrote an autoscaling IM "-draw" annotation that should work for all scripts.
If you like annotation outside the image area (as me) you can certainly copy the new
function to other scripts. If you prefer just to put sat name and date onto the image
then you are probably better off with pydecorate. Christian Peters does it that way.
For publication on Twitter and the like you always find the bare image in tmpdirs.
My interest in certain (EUMETCast) topics comes in waves. We have shown that
Pytroll/Satpy scripts can work 97% synchronized under Windows 10 and GNU/Linux.
I'll now work with my EUMETCast receivers HW (PCs now 12 years old) for a while.
Have fun
Ernst
===============================================================================

That could be very useful Ernst. So thanks for doing that. I have times when I prefer image only and other times where annotation greatly helps (we are supposed to properly give credit to Eumetsat and NOAA).
So the option for both is very welcome.

I now have a lot of things to try and learn so plenty to keep me occupied for a while.
Again thanks for doing this and I hope you can now get some more time to pursue your own interests.

Certainly will have fun (and no doubt some hair pulling as well!).

Best regards,
Douglas.


Re: Pytroll/SatPy for EUMETCast

Graham Woolf
 

Hi Ernst

Thank you so much for all you help and hard work . I am now going to set to over the next few days and produce a definitive set of scripts and try to automate them more effectively

If you feel like another project ....................

What I would really like to do is download an MSG4 westminster image every 15 minutes and then produce an animation of the images that auto updates every time a new image is recieved

What do you think ?

Kind Regards

Graham


Re: Pytroll/SatPy for EUMETCast

Ernst Lobsiger
 

On Sat, May 30, 2020 at 12:09 PM, Douglas Deans wrote:
Thanks Ernst. Nice image.
Douglas and Graham,

as Windows 10 IM struggles with newlines I wrote an IM annotation that uses "-draw".
But it is very cumbersome to change a lot of numbers from sat to sat or area to area.
That's why I wrote an autoscaling IM "-draw" annotation that should work for all scripts.
If you like annotation outside the image area (as me) you can certainly copy the new
function to other scripts. If you prefer just to put sat name and date onto the image
then you are probably better off with pydecorate. Christian Peters does it that way.
For publication on Twitter and the like you always find the bare image in tmpdirs.

My interest in certain (EUMETCast) topics comes in waves. We have shown that
Pytroll/Satpy scripts can work 97% synchronized under Windows 10 and GNU/Linux.
I'll now work with my EUMETCast receivers HW (PCs now 12 years old) for a while.

Have fun
Ernst


Re: Pytroll/SatPy for EUMETCast

Douglas Deans
 

On 30/05/2020 18:52, Ernst Lobsiger via groups.io wrote:
On Sat, May 30, 2020 at 03:51 AM, George Miller wrote:
Hi to all if i could receive a picture like that i might be tempted
to change over from the noaas
George
George,
NOAA has excellent satellites. This is NOAA-20 crossing the UK today.
@Douglas: coast resolution 'f', rivers 'level': 5. Script GNU/Linux only.
Regards,
Ernst
=========================================================================

Thanks Ernst. Nice image.

Regards,
Douglas.


Re: Pytroll/SatPy for EUMETCast

Ernst Lobsiger
 

On Sat, May 30, 2020 at 10:52 AM, Ernst Lobsiger wrote:
NOAA has excellent satellites. This is NOAA-20 crossing the UK today.
For unknown reasons the image didn't make it. Here it is again:

Ernst


Re: Pytroll/SatPy for EUMETCast

Ernst Lobsiger
 

On Sat, May 30, 2020 at 03:51 AM, George Miller wrote:
Hi to all if i could receive a picture like that i might be tempted to change over from the noaas
George
George,

NOAA has excellent satellites. This is NOAA-20 crossing the UK today.
@Douglas: coast resolution 'f', rivers 'level': 5. Script GNU/Linux only.

Regards,
Ernst


Re: Pytroll/SatPy for EUMETCast

George Miller
 

Hi to all if i could receive a picture like that i might be tempted to change over from the noaas
George

On Sat, 30 May 2020, 09:56 Douglas Deans via groups.io, <gm4vzy=googlemail.com@groups.io> wrote:
On 29/05/2020 22:24, Ernst Lobsiger via groups.io wrote:
> On Fri, May 29, 2020 at 12:53 PM, Douglas Deans wrote:
>
>     The full png was lying in the tmpdir so very pleased that it has
>     worked (converted it to jpg with PSP to reduce size).
>
> Douglas,
>
> sorry I took you for Graham in my last post. I must have been
> "knackered" (a word I had to look up) too :-).
>
> Good night
> Ernst

=======================================================================

No problem Ernst. As a (no longer active) Ham I should know not to use
colloquial terms but it did sum up my condition perfectly.

Sorted out the small remaining problem with the script this morning and
it is running perfectly. As expected it was something stupid I had done.
My thanks again for all your help.

Best regards,
Douglas.




Re: Pytroll/SatPy for EUMETCast

Douglas Deans
 

On 29/05/2020 22:24, Ernst Lobsiger via groups.io wrote:
On Fri, May 29, 2020 at 12:53 PM, Douglas Deans wrote:
The full png was lying in the tmpdir so very pleased that it has
worked (converted it to jpg with PSP to reduce size).
Douglas,
sorry I took you for Graham in my last post. I must have been "knackered" (a word I had to look up) too :-).
Good night
Ernst
=======================================================================

No problem Ernst. As a (no longer active) Ham I should know not to use colloquial terms but it did sum up my condition perfectly.

Sorted out the small remaining problem with the script this morning and it is running perfectly. As expected it was something stupid I had done.
My thanks again for all your help.

Best regards,
Douglas.


Re: Pytroll/SatPy for EUMETCast

Ernst Lobsiger
 

On Fri, May 29, 2020 at 12:53 PM, Douglas Deans wrote:
The full png was lying in the tmpdir so very pleased that it has worked (converted it to jpg with PSP to reduce size).
Douglas,

sorry I took you for Graham in my last post. I must have been "knackered" (a word I had to look up) too :-).

Good night
Ernst


Re: Pytroll/SatPy for EUMETCast

Ernst Lobsiger
 

On Fri, May 29, 2020 at 12:53 PM, Douglas Deans wrote:
The full png was lying in the tmpdir so very pleased that it has worked (converted it to jpg with PSP to reduce size).
Graham,

yes that's the way I use IM annotation. First save as *.png to tmpdir, then reread and add the IM bits.
You are probably missing the logos I didn't pack. Just found out I didn't add the 'AREA: westminster'
to the annotation bar. So there is something left for you tomorrow ...

Regards,
Ernst

P.S. The 'level' does not have the same range for 'coast',  'borders' and 'rivers'.
      Check the pycoast API in the latest online documentation.


Re: Pytroll/SatPy for EUMETCast

Douglas Deans
 

On 29/05/2020 17:20, Ernst Lobsiger via groups.io wrote:
On Wed, May 27, 2020 at 12:02 PM, Graham Woolf wrote:
Thats a lovely image - i look forward to trying that myself
Douglas and Graham,
I made it work under Windows 10 too. IM has problems with newline \n.
You should make an EMCdata/logos directory and use your own logos.
Have fun
Ernst
============================================================================

Ernst managed all the difficult bits as seen by my image. Error showing up right at the end when adding label and converting to jpg etc., but I will snag that tomorrow.
The full png was lying in the tmpdir so very pleased that it has worked (converted it to jpg with PSP to reduce size).
Time for a rest !

Thanks again.

Douglas.


Re: Pytroll/SatPy for EUMETCast

Douglas Deans
 

On 29/05/2020 17:20, Ernst Lobsiger via groups.io wrote:
On Wed, May 27, 2020 at 12:02 PM, Graham Woolf wrote:
Thats a lovely image - i look forward to trying that myself
Douglas and Graham,
I made it work under Windows 10 too. IM has problems with newline \n.
You should make an EMCdata/logos directory and use your own logos.
Have fun
Ernst
==========================================================================

Excellent. Many thanks Ernst. Look forward to giving it a try.
Just had our 2 grandchildren (10 months and nearly 12 years) round for the first time in over 2 months and even at 2 metre spacing I am still knackered !

Appreciate your continued help.

Best regards,
Douglas.


Re: Pytroll/SatPy for EUMETCast

Graham Woolf
 

Hi Ernst

Thanks so much for the script - something for the weekend

Kind Regards

Graham


Re: Pytroll/SatPy for EUMETCast

Ernst Lobsiger
 

On Wed, May 27, 2020 at 12:02 PM, Graham Woolf wrote:
Thats a lovely image - i look forward to trying that myself
Douglas and Graham,

I made it work under Windows 10 too. IM has problems with newline \n.
You should make an EMCdata/logos directory and use your own logos.

Have fun
Ernst


Re: CelesTrak connection (WXTrack)

Ulrich G. Kliegis
 

Von: "David J Taylor via groups.io"
<david-taylor=blueyonder.co.uk@groups.io>
An: <MSG-1@groups.io>
Betreff: Re: [MSG-1] CelesTrak connection (WXTrack)
Datum: Wed, 27 May 2020 19:41:24 +0100
Antwort an: <MSG-1@groups.io>

The Kepler Updater was already updated to handle this problem. Are
you
using the 2020-May-14 version? If not, please download and test
it.
Done, solved. Thanks!

Cheers,
U.


Re: Pytroll/SatPy for EUMETCast

Graham Woolf
 

Hi Ernst

Thats a lovely image - i look forward to trying that myself

Kind Regards

Graham


Re: CelesTrak connection (WXTrack)

Ulrich G. Kliegis
 

Von: "David J Taylor via groups.io"
<david-taylor=blueyonder.co.uk@groups.io>
An: <MSG-1@groups.io>
Betreff: Re: [MSG-1] CelesTrak connection (WXTrack)
Datum: Wed, 27 May 2020 19:41:24 +0100
Antwort an: <MSG-1@groups.io>


The Kepler Updater was already updated to handle this problem. Are
you
using the 2020-May-14 version? If not, please download and test
it.
Ahhhhhh! No, I was not aware yet of that. Never touch a running system. From the
system's point of view - don't ever stop running! I'll get the update, thanks, sounds
like that one is solved.

Cheers,
U.

2701 - 2720 of 32249