Date   

Re: Problems with SkyStar card

Timestep <Information@...>
 

From: Dave Cawley
Timestep Dartmouth England
e-mail Information@...
Web site http://www.Time-step.com
Tel. +44 (0)1803 833366
Fax. +44 (0)1803 839498

If you follow all the instructions to the letter, everything will work first
time. I just did another installation yesterday, simple...................

Dave


Re: TechniSat SkyStar2 Driver Software

Timestep <Information@...>
 

From: Dave Cawley
Timestep Dartmouth England
e-mail Information@...
Web site http://www.Time-step.com
Tel. +44 (0)1803 833366
Fax. +44 (0)1803 839498

And I'll reinforce what Sally says, as the major importer of the Technisat
Card, we do not endorse the new software.

Dave


Re: Signal level on the skystar2

johnrigsec@...
 

In a message dated 12-09-03 10:35:58 GMT Daylight Time, a.van.belle@...
writes:

Not that I suggest updating to this new driver !
Although it could work perfectly (Technisat won't release a Beta),
the additional requirements (directx9, Mediaplayer9, IE6) will
undoubtedly lower your system performance considerably !

If you don't have problems with 4.2.2 (or 4.2.2b), just leave it, we
only use a very small part of the SkyStar programs.

Greetings,
Arne van Belle
Arne,

Your advice seems to be supported by several users who have updated and
reverted back to the previous version of the SkyStar software.
I feel I should almost apologise for notifying users of the update.

Looking at the update information sent to me, as you say, very little of the
software facilities included are actually used by EUMETCast downloaders.
I have made this point to TechniSat.

Regards,
John Tellick.


TechniSat SkyStar2 Driver Software

Sally Wannop <wannop@...>
 

Dear All

We have been following your discussions with interest and recommend that you do not use the upgraded driver software v4.2.8. We are unable to provide you with an official comment, as our DVB service provider has yet to test this version of the software with EUMETCast, but your own experiences indicate to us that it is unlikely that v4.2.8 will be viable for use with EUMETCast. For the time being, we recommend you continue to operate using v4.2.2.

Regards

Sally Wannop
EUMETSAT User Support Manager


Re: Problems with SkyStar card

John Parkins <john@...>
 

Hello Trevor,

As the other guys have said please don't let me put you off, the
results are well worth it. If they weren't why would you think I'm
messing about with it so much.

As a case in point I put the card back into it's working computer over
3 hours ago and, of course, it hasn't missed a beat since, it's working
perfectly. Moreover I had to take the fan off to get it back in it's
original slot so bang goes the "it's getting too hot" theory.

I also haven't seen any recent missing segments so it looks like the
new server software is working after all.

Tuesday, September 16, 2003, 2:20:54 PM, you wrote:

TD> Hi

TD> I have a card but have not fitted it yet as I am waiting
TD> until all the problems have been solved and the bird is stable
TD> along with the soft ware. All I want to do is plug it in, install
TD> soft ware and go. I admire those who are into the development and
TD> tuning but it is not for me.

TD> Trevor

--
Best regards,
John mailto:kvp@...


Re: Problems with SkyStar card

Guy Martin <agm@...>
 

We are pretty much stable right now. Eumetsat carry out maintenance etc but most of the time we get constant images. I would try the card and software, mine worked first time, and David Taylor has some excellent setting up and help pages.

Regards, Guy

----- Original Message -----
From: Trevor David
To: MSG-1@...
Sent: Tuesday, September 16, 2003 2:20 PM
Subject: Re: Re[2]: [MSG-1] Problems with SkyStar card


Hi

I have a card but have not fitted it yet as I am waiting until all the problems have been solved and the bird is stable along with the soft ware. All I want to do is plug it in, install soft ware and go. I admire those who are into the development and tuning but it is not for me.

Trevor

----------

http://www.gordano.com - Messaging for educators.


Re: Problems with SkyStar card

Douglas Deans <douglas@...>
 

----- Original Message -----
From: "Trevor David" <tdavid@...>
To: <MSG-1@...>
Sent: Tuesday, September 16, 2003 2:20 PM
Subject: Re: Re[2]: [MSG-1] Problems with SkyStar card


Hi

I have a card but have not fitted it yet as I am waiting until all the
problems have been solved and the bird is stable along with the soft ware.
All I want to do is plug it in, install soft ware and go. I admire those who
are into the development and tuning but it is not for me.

Trevor

Don't be put off Trevor. The majority of people , including myself, just
stuck in the card, read the instructions from Tellique and have never had
the slightest problem.
I have used it, initially, in a one computer set-up, soon followed by the
recommended 2 arrangement without any problems.
Of course we have to learn about the programs and associated software but as
every computer and set-up is unique I think that is unavoidable,
particularly considering both the quantity and size of data.
...and of course we are all here to help as we have been helped in the past.

Regards
Douglas.


Re: Problems with SkyStar card

Trevor David <tdavid@...>
 

Hi

I have a card but have not fitted it yet as I am waiting until all the problems have been solved and the bird is stable along with the soft ware. All I want to do is plug it in, install soft ware and go. I admire those who are into the development and tuning but it is not for me.

Trevor

----- Original Message -----
From: Guy Martin
To: MSG-1@...
Sent: Tuesday, September 16, 2003 12:33 PM
Subject: Re: Re[2]: [MSG-1] Problems with SkyStar card


It seems to me that there is a batch of cards with faulty chips. Some people like myself have had no problems while others are fitting fans etc. As far as I am concerned if a card runs so hot that it shuts down then it is faulty and should be returned. Mine runs on an Abit board with an 800MHz duron, maybe processor speed is a factor and collating information from those whose cards don't work v. those that do may shed some light.
Regarding drivers, if the present ones work why update unless the new ones promise something better especially as the card is designed primarily for tv.

Regards, Guy

----- Original Message -----
From: John Parkins
To: Trevor David
Sent: Tuesday, September 16, 2003 12:14 PM
Subject: Re[2]: [MSG-1] Problems with SkyStar card


Hello Trevor,

Well I assume the writer of the updated drivers was after the normal
things, to be more stable, more functionality etc etc. But what he came up
with was a set of drivers which caused computer hesitations and the
loss of data, so DON'T use them.

Quite agree about the card. There is an attempt at cooling, a very small
heatsink on one of the chips, but mine runs hot. Thus I stuck the fan
on to help out. But as I said before this is the most temperamental
card I have ever put in a computer. So far I have had this thing in
four different computers, all with completely different hardware. I
have only managed to get it running in two of them and so far only
semi-reliably in one (apart from what I assume is a heat problem).
At first I thought it might be down to the motherboard chipset, one
that it failed to run in at all had a VIA chipset, but this was proved
to be wrong when the one it ran in reliably also had a VIA chipset!

Still the battle goes on..........

Tuesday, September 16, 2003, 11:06:03 AM, you wrote:

TD> Hi

TD> Can you tell us what the upgrade is supposed to do? apart from giving problems.

TD> If this card runs that hot then I would assume that there is
TD> a design fault with it. In my past life (as a QA auditer for MoD)
TD> when working any thing that run that hot for it to stop working
TD> would have been rejected and a new design required.

TD> Trevor

--
Best regards,
John mailto:kvp@...



Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
ADVERTISEMENT




To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
MSG-1-unsubscribe@...



Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.

----------

http://www.gordano.com - Messaging for educators.





Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
ADVERTISEMENT




To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
MSG-1-unsubscribe@...



Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.


Re: Sergment loss

James Brown <james@...>
 

In message <000a01c37c42$f9078050$0100a8c0@douglas>, Douglas Deans <douglas@...> writes
Just to put others minds at ease, I am finding that the segment loss since
this morning's server software change is very bad on HRIT. LRIT seems ok.

Douglas.
Let's hope that doesn't mean we'll need the new 'iffy' drivers!

Cheers,

James
--
James Brown


Re: Problems with SkyStar card

Guy Martin <agm@...>
 

It seems to me that there is a batch of cards with faulty chips. Some people like myself have had no problems while others are fitting fans etc. As far as I am concerned if a card runs so hot that it shuts down then it is faulty and should be returned. Mine runs on an Abit board with an 800MHz duron, maybe processor speed is a factor and collating information from those whose cards don't work v. those that do may shed some light.
Regarding drivers, if the present ones work why update unless the new ones promise something better especially as the card is designed primarily for tv.

Regards, Guy

----- Original Message -----
From: John Parkins
To: Trevor David
Sent: Tuesday, September 16, 2003 12:14 PM
Subject: Re[2]: [MSG-1] Problems with SkyStar card


Hello Trevor,

Well I assume the writer of the updated drivers was after the normal
things, to be more stable, more functionality etc etc. But what he came up
with was a set of drivers which caused computer hesitations and the
loss of data, so DON'T use them.

Quite agree about the card. There is an attempt at cooling, a very small
heatsink on one of the chips, but mine runs hot. Thus I stuck the fan
on to help out. But as I said before this is the most temperamental
card I have ever put in a computer. So far I have had this thing in
four different computers, all with completely different hardware. I
have only managed to get it running in two of them and so far only
semi-reliably in one (apart from what I assume is a heat problem).
At first I thought it might be down to the motherboard chipset, one
that it failed to run in at all had a VIA chipset, but this was proved
to be wrong when the one it ran in reliably also had a VIA chipset!

Still the battle goes on..........

Tuesday, September 16, 2003, 11:06:03 AM, you wrote:

TD> Hi

TD> Can you tell us what the upgrade is supposed to do? apart from giving problems.

TD> If this card runs that hot then I would assume that there is
TD> a design fault with it. In my past life (as a QA auditer for MoD)
TD> when working any thing that run that hot for it to stop working
TD> would have been rejected and a new design required.

TD> Trevor

--
Best regards,
John mailto:kvp@...



Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
ADVERTISEMENT




To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
MSG-1-unsubscribe@...



Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.

----------

http://www.gordano.com - Messaging for educators.


Re: Problems with SkyStar card

John Parkins <john@...>
 

Hello Trevor,

Well I assume the writer of the updated drivers was after the normal
things, to be more stable, more functionality etc etc. But what he came up
with was a set of drivers which caused computer hesitations and the
loss of data, so DON'T use them.

Quite agree about the card. There is an attempt at cooling, a very small
heatsink on one of the chips, but mine runs hot. Thus I stuck the fan
on to help out. But as I said before this is the most temperamental
card I have ever put in a computer. So far I have had this thing in
four different computers, all with completely different hardware. I
have only managed to get it running in two of them and so far only
semi-reliably in one (apart from what I assume is a heat problem).
At first I thought it might be down to the motherboard chipset, one
that it failed to run in at all had a VIA chipset, but this was proved
to be wrong when the one it ran in reliably also had a VIA chipset!

Still the battle goes on..........

Tuesday, September 16, 2003, 11:06:03 AM, you wrote:

TD> Hi

TD> Can you tell us what the upgrade is supposed to do? apart from giving problems.

TD> If this card runs that hot then I would assume that there is
TD> a design fault with it. In my past life (as a QA auditer for MoD)
TD> when working any thing that run that hot for it to stop working
TD> would have been rejected and a new design required.

TD> Trevor

--
Best regards,
John mailto:kvp@...


Sergment loss

Douglas Deans <douglas@...>
 

Just to put others minds at ease, I am finding that the segment loss since
this morning's server software change is very bad on HRIT. LRIT seems ok.

Douglas.


Re: Problems with SkyStar card

Trevor David <tdavid@...>
 

Hi

Can you tell us what the upgrade is supposed to do? apart from giving problems.

If this card runs that hot then I would assume that there is a design fault with it. In my past life (as a QA auditer for MoD) when working any thing that run that hot for it to stop working would have been rejected and a new design required.

Trevor

----- Original Message -----
From: John Parkins
To: Timestep
Sent: Tuesday, September 16, 2003 10:56 AM
Subject: Re: [MSG-1] Problems with SkyStar card


Hello Dave,

I was talking about the updated drivers from 4.2.2 to 4.2.8

Well I put the side back on and it lasted for nearly 2 hours but the
little green icon has just become a little red icon!

Tuesday, September 16, 2003, 10:10:11 AM, you wrote:

T> OK understood. I know people have problems, but I and some others haven't.
T> As the major distributor of the cards I did not recommend the so called
T> "upgrade" !


--
Best regards,
John mailto:kvp@...



Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
ADVERTISEMENT




To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
MSG-1-unsubscribe@...



Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.


Re: Problems with SkyStar card

John Parkins <john@...>
 

Hello Dave,

I was talking about the updated drivers from 4.2.2 to 4.2.8

Well I put the side back on and it lasted for nearly 2 hours but the
little green icon has just become a little red icon!

Tuesday, September 16, 2003, 10:10:11 AM, you wrote:

T> OK understood. I know people have problems, but I and some others haven't.
T> As the major distributor of the cards I did not recommend the so called
T> "upgrade" !


--
Best regards,
John mailto:kvp@...


Problems with SkyStar card

Timestep <Information@...>
 

From: Dave Cawley
Timestep Dartmouth England
e-mail Information@...
Web site http://www.Time-step.com
Tel. +44 (0)1803 833366
Fax. +44 (0)1803 839498

OK understood. I know people have problems, but I and some others haven't.
As the major distributor of the cards I did not recommend the so called
"upgrade" !

USB units ?? My favourite, but I suspect if they were only 10 pounds more,
that we would not sell any; at 3 times the price, wonderful although they
are, and with a 45cm dish and a laptop you can have mobile MSG, we have only
sold a handful.

Regards

Dave


Re: Problems with SkyStar card.........Again!!!!

John Parkins <john@...>
 

Hello Dave,

No it was the "which is not working because it doesn't seem to
be installed." bit which got me. Probably because I spent a while last
week installing a network which XP kept telling me didn't exist!

As for the heat of the card, I think it's a well known fact that they
run a bit on the warm side. The SkyStar2 Yahoo group is full of people
who have had to add fans and extra heatsinks to their cards. In fact
mine will stop working once it gets to a particular temperature.
During the recent hot spell I had the side off the computer and a 10"
room fan blowing on it just to keep it going!

My experience of this card is that it's the most temperamental thing
I've ever put in a computer and it's what I do for a living. The
drivers are flakey as well, as demonstrated by the recent 'update'.

No doubt some users wont have had any problem at all, but here I am
building up the courage to put the sides back on the computer because
I damn well know it wont work after I have!!!

How are sales of the USB version going???????


Tuesday, September 16, 2003, 8:36:37 AM, you wrote:


T> From: Dave Cawley
T> Timestep Dartmouth England
T> e-mail Information@...
T> Web site http://www.Time-step.com
T> Tel. +44 (0)1803 833366
T> Fax. +44 (0)1803 839498

T> XP is telling you it already assigned that address, which is correct, it
T> might have been a switched off USB interface for instance. And in fact
T> Windows 2000 does exactly the same thing, a useful feature in my mind ?

T> I have several cards and they all run cool, I would be happy to look at a
T> hot running card.

T> Regards

T> Dave

--
Best regards,
John mailto:kvp@...


Re: Problems with SkyStar card.........Again!!!!

Timestep <Information@...>
 

From: Dave Cawley
Timestep Dartmouth England
e-mail Information@...
Web site http://www.Time-step.com
Tel. +44 (0)1803 833366
Fax. +44 (0)1803 839498

XP is telling you it already assigned that address, which is correct, it
might have been a switched off USB interface for instance. And in fact
Windows 2000 does exactly the same thing, a useful feature in my mind ?

I have several cards and they all run cool, I would be happy to look at a
hot running card.

Regards

Dave


Re: Problems with SkyStar card.........Again!!!!

John Parkins <john@...>
 

Hello Group,

In the usual way when dealing with this card, it now seems to be
working. What did I do? Well I hotglued a fan to it and put it back
in...... Now the card couldn't have been too hot because in trying to
get it going I had been turning the computer on and off all the time,
so the card was cool. But go figure.

I did however see the greatest alert I ever seen from Windows XP.
Having been changing PCI slots when I tried to assign the correct IP
address to the card I got, " That IP address has been allocated to
another network card, which is not working because it doesn't seem to
be installed. Should you use this address it will conflict with the
assigned network card should it be installed" or words to that effect.
Whatever happened to plug and play?????

Still I have to put the sides back on the computer which is no doubt
going to be another reason for this card not to work.......

Monday, September 15, 2003, 9:22:07 PM, you wrote:

JP> Hello Group,

JP> Having most of the bits to knock up another computer I thought I might
JP> as well and dedicate it to the receiving of MSG. So it's been put
JP> together and today after and brand new installation of Windows XP I
JP> installed the Skystar card, still using the old drivers. But I
JP> have a small problem and I wonder if anyone else had ever seen the
JP> same. After starting the computer I get a very nice green icon in the
JP> taskbar telling me the card is receiving, I fire up the Tellique
JP> software, it connects and starts to do it's thing, seconds later the
JP> green icon turns red!!!! closely followed by the Tellique icon!

JP> Anyone got any ideas?






--
Best regards,
John mailto:kvp@...


Problems with SkyStar card.........Again!!!!

John Parkins <john@...>
 

Hello Group,

Having most of the bits to knock up another computer I thought I might
as well and dedicate it to the receiving of MSG. So it's been put
together and today after and brand new installation of Windows XP I
installed the Skystar card, still using the old drivers. But I
have a small problem and I wonder if anyone else had ever seen the
same. After starting the computer I get a very nice green icon in the
taskbar telling me the card is receiving, I fire up the Tellique
software, it connects and starts to do it's thing, seconds later the
green icon turns red!!!! closely followed by the Tellique icon!

Anyone got any ideas?



--
Best regards,
John mailto:kvp@...


Re: Networking two Windows machines

John Din
 

Alan, I have 5 computers on a private network and two working with MSG1, I will gladly send you my set-up details, I have Windows XP and 98 and Me systems working together, Best wishes, John Din
RIG membership secretary

----- Original Message -----
From: Alan Sewards
To: MSG-1@...
Sent: Sunday, September 14, 2003 3:08 PM
Subject: [MSG-1] Networking two Windows machines


I'm sorry if this is a bit off-topic, although it concerns the
implementation of the two computer method of receiving MSG-1 data. After
over 12 hours of fiddling around with the two computers, I have got nowhere
and have run out of ideas!
I have been running my MSG1 stuff on one computer, with a fair degree of
success. Yesterday I received a new machine which I had ordered and wanted
to get it running without delay. I decided to leave the DVB card and the
tellique software in the old machine and run the MSG DM in the new. In order
to avoid problems with the IP address of the old computer I decided not to
use the Network Wizard but to assign an IP address to it (previous
experience had showed me that using the Wizard tended to result in the
tellique client not being able to connect). So far OK, the receiving
computer works, receives the data, the tellique client works and so does MDM
which is still in that machine. BUT, nothing I can do will make the new
machine communicate with the old one via the Ethernet connection between the
two. The main problem seems to be that the new machine (which has the latest
version of Windows XP Home) insists on assigning an IP address using an
Automatic Private Address scheme or DHCP and will not let me assign a static
IP address in a series which the other machines on the network might
recognise.
Any ideas from those of you who have two-machine networks? Hardware is two
Athlon machines 1800 and 2400, Belkin hub (10/100 MHz Ethernet).

Best regards - Alan

Alan Sewards
email: alan.sewards@...
web site: http://asewards.free.fr



Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
ADVERTISEMENT




To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
MSG-1-unsubscribe@...



Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.