Telique log files (was: Re: Missing Segments)

David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🇪🇺

--- In MSG-1@yahoogroups.com, "David Strickland" <David@s...> wrote:
[]
Final thought of the day but I have yet to check it out. I
know we are well out of the equinox but several times I have lost
segments on bright clear sunny days with no wind or rain like today
around 1100-1140. I wonder if the LNB is suffering from being heated?

Well, that's where the least stable oscillator is, and it is most
exposed to the elements. But if things were as bad as they
sometimes seem, surely satellite digital TV would not be accepted by
customers?

This I will check at the next opportunity. My dish is a low cost
88cm and is probably only coated with normal paint ( a Timestep
dish). Paints designed for dishes are non reflective to Infra Red so
it is a possibility. Here in the south with a good look at the Sat
one would not expect signal losses to this extent. The level
indications and SNR are good and should be enough.

Be very aware of stating DVB card version and driver version when
comparing "signal quality" or SNR readings.

Removal of the WiFi card and replacement with Ethernet to a WAP
has seriously reduced the collection PC processor load with all
processor, disc and pageing. No other unnecessary services are
running but this seems to have had little effect on the number of
lost segments. By the way no segment losses since 1315 so in my case
it does seem there is a time relationship for at least some of the
segment loss.
I really don't know what to blame right now. The drivers behave
rather differently in terms of producing a CPU load between V4.2.2
and V4.2.8, but whether this procudes a difference if the missing
segment rate I don't know. Whether it is the hardware, the drivers,
the DVB Receiver application, or the Tellique software that is the
weak link, I don't know!

Minimisng any extra CPU load certainly helps!