Re: Lateral thinking

Roger Mawhinney <roger@...>

David
What puzzles me is that my data loss occurs predominately when my system is
not heavily loaded, i.e. when I'm at work during the normal day. I see some
deterioration when I am actively using my PC, but not what might be
expected. I'm really fishing around for other possible reasons - e.g.
Norton Live Update checks every 5 minutes by default, Microsoft network
updates are every 12 minutes, Outlooks checks for mail every 15 minutes,
etc. There are many other background operations going on within Windows.
With a number of non-synchronous repetitive processes, there is bound to be
a time when they all coincide, perhaps overloading the system for a brief
period in time.

Does anyone know what the various timeouts on Windows background services
are and what can be shut down without damage to the basic system?
Roger