From: "David Taylor" <david-taylor@...>
To: <MSG-1@...>
Sent: Sunday, November 09, 2003 1:11 PM
Subject: [MSG-1] Definitions and questions!

Speaking from a position of ignorance, what is meant by "Signal
Quality" in the Transponder Status display? It seems to be rather
like the S-meter in amateur radio, an arbitrary indication of signal
strength as seen by the receiver (so in fact would be more
accurately called quantity than quality!). Am I correct? Is there
a standard?

Having asked that: why would adding a splitter increase the signal
quality? (OK, receiver overload would be less in a lower signal
level situation). But if the quality is actually measuring the
quantity, then it should indicate less!

Or is the kit simply so cheap that any absolute indications from it
should be ignored?