Re: SkyStar card versions - calibration differences?

David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🇪🇺

--- In MSG-1@yahoogroups.com, "a_van_belle" <a.van.belle@h...> wrote:
David,

The skystar driver shipped May 2003 was 4.2.2
Thanks.

The new rev 2.6B Skystar does readout SQ a bit lower normally.
But as you have noticed, using a 2 way splitter does change SQ
readings. I did expect it to decrease but to my surprise it
increased overhere from 61 to 68%. And was depending on the fact if
and what type receiver was connected to the second port.

Only explanation: Either the splitter atennuates noise more than
signal, giving a better SNR or the receiver was "oversteered" in the
first place.

Only way to find out is to place a atennuator and see what happens.
We say "over-driven" but I knwo what you mean - too high a signal
level.

[]
But what really counts, do you have less missing segments ?
Today I only have missing segments:
1345 lrit ch01 + ch03 seg4
1445 hrit ch01 seg 4 + ch12 seg 10+11
Could be caused by a PC problem, I did notice abnormal harddisc
activity around these times. Guess it's time to do some defragging !

Arne, my own log shows:

Missing HRIT & LRIT segments report
Cycle: 1200
msg-ch11, seg: 3
Cycle: 1245
msg-ch04, seg: 3
lrit-ch04, seg: 3

and not the segments you missed. Around 12:45 segment 3 the testing
PC with the new DVB card was closed down, so there could have been a
transient on the shared LNB control line. What I have now done
effectively is to upgrade the receiver PC from a 550MHz PIII with
the V2.3 SkyStar card to a 1GHz PIII with the newer V2.6B card (and
also with a complete fresh install of Windows 2000 Prof SP4).

I do notice that with the new card, in either of the two PCs where
it has been tested, the mouse movement is subject to occasional
judder, gaps of motion lasting a fraction of a second. This judder
does not occur when the card is not installed and receiving data.
Both PCs have a PS2 mouse.

What I found with the testing PC (2.8GHz P4) was that whilst
most "office" use of the PC did not produce missing segments,
running anything that was very CPU intensive could result in
segments begin missed. E.g. making panoramas, and some Paint Shop
Pro filtering or resampling operations. Eating CPU for more than
(say) one second was not on. (On the other hand, running disk
defrags, anti-virus, Zone Alarm etc. seems to be OK. Perhaps
because they involve I/O as well as CPU activity). I had hoped to
be able to run the DVB card on a general "office" PC, but that
proved not to be 100% reliable.