Re: SkyStar card versions - calibration differences?

James Brown

In message <bojnnb+mu9s@eGroups.com>, David Taylor <david-taylor@blueyonder.co.uk> writes
Having just moved from a V2.3 hardware with V2.4.2 (?) software to a
V2.6B card with the V4.2.8 drivers, I have found that, as others
have reported, the signal level indications are completely different!

What was 60% "Signal Quality" has become 80% (perhaps), what was
9.3dB "SNR" has become 14.5dB (perhaps). Is the new card that much
better, or has someone changed the calibration levels? Is the
calibration that arbitrary? What does "Signal Quality" mean in any
case?

(I should add that I also now have a spliiter so that I can feed two
cards from one antenna. My simplistic view suggests that splitting
the signal should, er, decrease the SNR and not increase it!).

If nothing else, it does mean that when reporting levels you must
specify what hardware and software you are using! Comments
welcomed...

Was that before or after your aerial installer readjusted your dish David?

James
--
James Brown