Re: METEOSAT view angle

Robert Moore

David to what extent (if at all) does the fact that the Earth is not truly spherical effect satellite imaging? I have always assumed that the
deviations from the sphere were far too small to create problems for
turning the data into pictures - but very much more problematic for the
satellite operators/managers.
Flattening of the Earth towards the North pole was certainly an issue for
mariners when I was at sea, and presumably still is, as the planet will not
have changed shape since then!

When you cut a slice
Through the polar ice,
The Earth is like a pear.
But sliced along the equato
She looks like a potato -
A giant pomme de terre.

Robert

--On 23 June 2006 10:53 +0100 David J Taylor <gm8arv@...> wrote:

daniarnedo wrote:
Hi, I have a doubt about the view angle of the Meteosat stellites.
I Believe it is +/-9ยบ degrees, anybody knows if this is correct or
not? Many thanks.
Yes, that's about right. They just fit the full disk of the earth in from
geostationary orbit distance, so you can work out the angle required.
MSG-2 for example is currently about 35780km above the equator, and the
earth's polar and equatorial radius are about 6357 km and 6378km
respectively. The maths is left as an exercise for you! The same is true
of the other geostationary satellites as well.

In fact, Meteosat 5..9 are spinning satellites, so their actual FOV is
360
degrees horizontally by a small number of pixels vertically.....

Professor Robert Moore
School of Sociology and Social Policy
University of Liverpool
L69 7BZ