Re: Segment Loss

David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🇪🇺

Peter Hayes wrote:
[]
Does the Eumetcast machine ever need to go anywhere near the internet
- ie, does it need any security software in the first place?

Peter
Good question. As my PCs sit on my small network, which is connected to the Internet via a router, I do protect them as a matter of routine with (in my case) CA's eTrust anti-virus and Zone Alarm. No Spyware scanners. I don't find any problems with Zone Alarm, and I configure the anti-virus not to touch any of the TelliCast related directories. No routine anti-virus scans, either.

By the way, on the main PC (which is a receive-only PC), I run Diskeeper to defrag each of the four partitions once a week, on different days, at different times. This can also cause the odd missing segment, perhaps one a month (rough guess). I can correlate the time and day of the missing segment with the defrag of the disk with the \receiving\ directories.

Web: http://www.satsignal.net
Email: davidtaylor@writeme.com

___________________________________________________________ All New Yahoo! Mail � Tired of Vi@gr@! come-ons? Let our SpamGuard protect you. http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html