Re: Segment Loss

Alan Sewards <asewards@...>

David,
Thanks for your comments. I will report the error messages to OPS, I
find that they started on 30 May at 0902 and there are now several
hundred of them!

I am puzzled by your remarks on the &#92;receiving file setup. I find I have
&#92;receiving on the C: drive below T-Systems&#92;BusinessTV-IP&#92;, and
&#92;receiving is on the RAMdrive, Z: Z contains two folders - receiving and
RECYCLED. The former contains a folder named temp (which is empty) and
the 0.fsy file. The latter (Recycled) contains a folder named NPROTECT,
which in turn contains a file named NPROTECT.LOG, which is 632k and
attempts to view it are met with the statement that it is in use. I did
not tell the system to create this recycled folder or its contents, nor
did I tell it to create the temp folder. My setup of this structure
dates from about a year ago, when I edited recv.ini and
recv-channels.ini on the basis of what I understood at the time.
recv.ini specifies file_database_directory=Z:&#92;received (that is the
RAMdisk). Recv-channels.ini contains target_directory commented out,
defaulting to ./received, as it actually is, as mentioned above.
temp_directory is specified as =Z:&#92;receiving/temp. [there seems to be a
lot of confusion in this software between the UNIX / and the Windows&#92;,
with both appearing at times, as in the above specification!]
As I understand it, tqrecv puts the files with bits of segments into
receiving until it has the complete segment, then it moves (or copies)
it to the received folder. The idea of using a RAMdisk seemed to arise
over this collection process, but I am now puzzled as to why we all went
for it! Your comment on 'move' vs 'copy' presupposes that tqrecv is
smart enough to distinguish between the need for one or the other
depending on the source and destination drives, which may be so but I
doubt it. Your point that &#92;received and &#92;receiving should be on the same
drive depends on this. Should we be using a RAMdisk for both folders?
And will be it make any difference?

Best regards - Alan

The comments relating to

David J Taylor wrote:

Alan Sewards wrote:
David and Ian,
I also recorded the 0245 ch 12 seg 16 missing today, but not the
Met-5 one.
I can't comment on the Missed Data Packets stats as I don't normally
look at them. However, the Skystar SkyDSL Signal Status display shows
no
uncorrected blocks.
But: starting at 04:36 today and continuing until 15:05 the log
file
shows dozens of entries saying: Cannot join eumetsat Channel 1,
missing
key xxxxx. and 4 channel lost messages for channels 3 and
Announcement.

I have not installed the latest Tellicast and EKU software ugrades so
am
running the older (well-tested!) ones. I have a 64 MB Ramdisk used
only
for the 'receiving' files, that is temp and 0.fsy, the latter has
grown
to 32.9 MB.

I am puzzled by the missing key messages, particularly as I don't seem
to be losing anything! (unless it is stuff I don't normally take)

Best regards - Alan (Sewards)

I would suggest you report those messages to EUMETSAT, Alan. I've
already
done so, but it may help to know that the older client software also
produces similar errors. I've only seen one such message today.

By the way: there is (probably) no need to use the "temp" files
mechanism,
even with a RAMdisk, when using my software, and quite possibly using
"temp" files will simply result in a greater I/O load. If you need to
use
"temp", it should be on the same physical disk as the "received"
files, so
that the final step in the receiving operation becomes a "move" (i.e
rename in disk directory), rather than a "copy", incurring extra I/O.

Web: http://www.satsignal.net
Email: davidtaylor@writeme.com

All new Yahoo! Mail "The new Interface is stunning in its simplicity
and ease of use." - PC Magazine
http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html

http://www.david-taylor.myby.co.uk/wxsat/glossary.htm

Weather equipment