From: MSG-1@yahoogroups.com [mailto:MSG-1@yahoogroups.com]On Behalf Of
Robert Moore
Sent: 23 February 2006 11:36
To: MSG-1@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [MSG-1] Re: Hardware lifetime? CPU? Whats your opinion?

While I've had some problems, none have been attributable to
hardware. My
reception PC has run from the start of of MSG-1 trials and as
far as I can
remember has only been switched off once (save by a power cut
or two) for a
month in 2004 when I was in India. Pentium 4 2GHz, 512MB RAM,
80GB HDD -
which has only been above a quarter full when my
data-processing PC failed
to restart after a power cut - then the HDD filled but was easily
recovered. This PC runs under Windows XP Professional and is
used solely
for Meteosat-8 reception (save that it has an internet connection and
software which checks the clock).
Processing PC is much higher spec Pentium 4 3GHz, 2GB RAM 200GB HDD,
Windows XP Professional. Very heavily used for David's
software, radio data
processing, number-crunching, photographic work,
word-processing, email,
internet etc etc and regularly runs two sound cards simultaneously.
Purchased when MSG-1 was launched, only one month off again.
No problems.
But given its age and being aware of possible end-of-life
problems I am now
running automated backups of working files on this machine to
another PC -
because if this one fails I would really be in trouble as my
serious work
would be lost (Yes, sometimes hard to remember -- but
Meteosat-8 is really
only a hobby!).
So looks like two CPUs are running like new - should we be
more concerned
with hard drives? The hard drive on my weather station machine
self-destroyed and the supplier said that HDDs for the
general consumer
market could not be expected to run 24/7 and that one needed a better
quality HDD for that kind of use. I don't know if this chimes in with
anyone else's experience.

Robert

--On 23 February 2006 11:54 +0100 Alan Sewards
<asewards@free.fr> wrote:

I run my Eumetcast reception system on an Athlon 2400 PC
and it has been
running from the beginning of the service trials. OS is Win
XP Home, 1
GB RAM. 2 HDD, one as the C: drive and a D: drive for the
MSG data. I
lost the D: drive after about a year, I believe largely
due to the fact
that I tried to run MSG Animator on the machine as well as Tellicast
reception and MSG Data Manager - it was just too much for
the disk, even
though the disk that failed was not the C: drive. Since then I run
Animator on another machine networked to the reception PC.
The system
runs 24/7 and is not rebooted except when XP Security updates so
dictate. I have to add that electricity costs in France
where I live are
very reasonable and leaving computers on is not costly from the
electricity consumed viewpoint. This does not seem to apply
to Germany
from what I have read.

Best regards - Alan

Steve Blackmore wrote:
On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 22:43:42 -0000, you wrote:

I have been running the same PC (an old MSI 6209
barebone) from the
early start of EUMETCast on May 2003. It runs W2K 24x7
and generally
is only rebooted at power loss or "dust-off" maintenance.
Similar story here, mine has 1Gb of memory and hasn't been rebooted
since the dongles were issued. Runs 24/7 flawlessly. CPU
fan is getting
a bit noisy so might just be due for an overhaul sometime soon.

Does more harm and causes more stress turning PC's on and
off than just
leaving them running.

Steve Blackmore

http://www.david-taylor.myby.co.uk/wxsat/glossary.htm

Vane weather
<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&;k=Vane+weather&w1=Vane+weat
her&w2=Sta
tion+weather+wireless&w3=Science+kits&w4=Science+education&w5=
Science+ki
t+for+kid&w6=Earth+science&c=6&s=133&.sig=yGKbXyuU6YnkxzD2yxzRtg>
Station weather wireless
<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&;k=Station+weather+wireless&
w1=Vane+we
ather&w2=Station+weather+wireless&w3=Science+kits&w4=Science+e
ducation&w
5=Science+kit+for+kid&w6=Earth+science&c=6&s=133&.sig=wFQto8_u
zoALQ5zhLe
bUlQ> Science kits
<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&;k=Science+kits&w1=Vane+weat
her&w2=Sta
tion+weather+wireless&w3=Science+kits&w4=Science+education&w5=
Science+ki
t+for+kid&w6=Earth+science&c=6&s=133&.sig=Azp6z-1BAFWbCM87LP1Ydw>

Science education
<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&;k=Science+education&w1=Vane
+weather&w
2=Station+weather+wireless&w3=Science+kits&w4=Science+educatio
n&w5=Scien
ce+kit+for+kid&w6=Earth+science&c=6&s=133&.sig=qupKH6U1LFrI1wSOxdfgQg>
Science kit for kid
<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&;k=Science+kit+for+kid&w1=Va
ne+weather
&w2=Station+weather+wireless&w3=Science+kits&w4=Science+educat
ion&w5=Sci
ence+kit+for+kid&w6=Earth+science&c=6&s=133&.sig=YQ1IJ944GDWT1
5KF8Fc2Ww>
Earth science
<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&;k=Earth+science&w1=Vane+wea
ther&w2=St
ation+weather+wireless&w3=Science+kits&w4=Science+education&w5
=Science+k
it+for+kid&w6=Earth+science&c=6&s=133&.sig=l7HwzZzkSlQWpk281QYwEw>

Service <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>;.

--
Alan Sewards
email: alan.sewards@free.fr