Re: Hardware lifetime? CPU? Whats your opinion?

Robert Moore

While I've had some problems, none have been attributable to hardware. My reception PC has run from the start of of MSG-1 trials and as far as I can remember has only been switched off once (save by a power cut or two) for a month in 2004 when I was in India. Pentium 4 2GHz, 512MB RAM, 80GB HDD - which has only been above a quarter full when my data-processing PC failed to restart after a power cut - then the HDD filled but was easily recovered. This PC runs under Windows XP Professional and is used solely for Meteosat-8 reception (save that it has an internet connection and software which checks the clock).
Processing PC is much higher spec Pentium 4 3GHz, 2GB RAM 200GB HDD, Windows XP Professional. Very heavily used for David's software, radio data processing, number-crunching, photographic work, word-processing, email, internet etc etc and regularly runs two sound cards simultaneously. Purchased when MSG-1 was launched, only one month off again. No problems.
But given its age and being aware of possible end-of-life problems I am now running automated backups of working files on this machine to another PC - because if this one fails I would really be in trouble as my serious work would be lost (Yes, sometimes hard to remember -- but Meteosat-8 is really only a hobby!).
So looks like two CPUs are running like new - should we be more concerned with hard drives? The hard drive on my weather station machine self-destroyed and the supplier said that HDDs for the general consumer market could not be expected to run 24/7 and that one needed a better quality HDD for that kind of use. I don't know if this chimes in with anyone else's experience.

Robert

--On 23 February 2006 11:54 +0100 Alan Sewards <asewards@...> wrote:

I run my Eumetcast reception system on an Athlon 2400 PC and it has been
running from the beginning of the service trials. OS is Win XP Home, 1
GB RAM. 2 HDD, one as the C: drive and a D: drive for the MSG data. I
lost the D: drive after about a year, I believe largely due to the fact
that I tried to run MSG Animator on the machine as well as Tellicast
reception and MSG Data Manager - it was just too much for the disk, even
though the disk that failed was not the C: drive. Since then I run
Animator on another machine networked to the reception PC. The system
runs 24/7 and is not rebooted except when XP Security updates so
dictate. I have to add that electricity costs in France where I live are
very reasonable and leaving computers on is not costly from the
electricity consumed viewpoint. This does not seem to apply to Germany
from what I have read.

Best regards - Alan

Steve Blackmore wrote:
On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 22:43:42 -0000, you wrote:

I have been running the same PC (an old MSI 6209 barebone) from the
early start of EUMETCast on May 2003. It runs W2K 24x7 and generally
is only rebooted at power loss or "dust-off" maintenance.
Similar story here, mine has 1Gb of memory and hasn't been rebooted
since the dongles were issued. Runs 24/7 flawlessly. CPU fan is getting
a bit noisy so might just be due for an overhaul sometime soon.

Does more harm and causes more stress turning PC's on and off than just
leaving them running.

Steve Blackmore

http://www.david-taylor.myby.co.uk/wxsat/glossary.htm

Vane weather
<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Vane+weather&w1=Vane+weather&w2=Sta
tion+weather+wireless&w3=Science+kits&w4=Science+education&w5=Science+ki
t+for+kid&w6=Earth+science&c=6&s=133&.sig=yGKbXyuU6YnkxzD2yxzRtg>
Station weather wireless
<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Station+weather+wireless&w1=Vane+we
ather&w2=Station+weather+wireless&w3=Science+kits&w4=Science+education&w
5=Science+kit+for+kid&w6=Earth+science&c=6&s=133&.sig=wFQto8_uzoALQ5zhLe
bUlQ> Science kits
<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Science+kits&w1=Vane+weather&w2=Sta
tion+weather+wireless&w3=Science+kits&w4=Science+education&w5=Science+ki
t+for+kid&w6=Earth+science&c=6&s=133&.sig=Azp6z-1BAFWbCM87LP1Ydw>

Science education
<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Science+education&w1=Vane+weather&w
2=Station+weather+wireless&w3=Science+kits&w4=Science+education&w5=Scien
ce+kit+for+kid&w6=Earth+science&c=6&s=133&.sig=qupKH6U1LFrI1wSOxdfgQg>
Science kit for kid
<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Science+kit+for+kid&w1=Vane+weather
&w2=Station+weather+wireless&w3=Science+kits&w4=Science+education&w5=Sci
ence+kit+for+kid&w6=Earth+science&c=6&s=133&.sig=YQ1IJ944GDWT15KF8Fc2Ww>
Earth science
<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Earth+science&w1=Vane+weather&w2=St
ation+weather+wireless&w3=Science+kits&w4=Science+education&w5=Science+k
it+for+kid&w6=Earth+science&c=6&s=133&.sig=l7HwzZzkSlQWpk281QYwEw>

Alan Sewards
email: alan.sewards@...
b.sewards@...

web site: http://asewards.free.fr