Re: What does the future hold....

David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🇪🇺

This conclusion is reached from the viewpoint of the
communications, but there are also commercial aspects to be
considered. From the Eumetsat viewpoint, HR data is probably more
valuable than LR data, and users may be prepared to pay more for it -
if this is believed to be the case, the distinction between HR and
LR data may be continued, even though the original technical reason
for the difference has vanished.

.. and for people taking data over the Internet, bandwidth will
still be a major consideration! Don't forget that LRIT data is
supposed to be available that way, although it's gone quiet on that
front.

Will MSG-2 have an SSPA allotted to the job of data dissemination?
Will the SSPA be omitted or used as a backup for the really
important jobs of satellite control, telemetry and sensor downlinks?
Is the TV satellite dissemination approach the next generation, or
will it be quietly dropped after MSG-1 as it potentially upsets the
charging basis for the data?

.. my guess? They will carry on with the DVB approach, assuming it
is proved to be sucessful, and the current problems can be ironed
out. I suspect the latter is just learning how to make the most of
a new system. Once the eTokens are in place, data access and
charging can be just the same as the existing (direct from Meteosat
7) system. It will be interesting to see if the Americans and
Japanese follow suit. John Tellick has spoken about this at the
recent meetings, so I guess he will have some input!