Re: Signal strenght reading

David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🇪🇺

With my extra-small dish setup (40cm in a plastic bucket, look for
luca-dish.jpg in http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SatSignal/files/ )
and the USB version of the SkyStar2 adapter my signal strength is
anywhere from 8% (deep red) to 22-23% (barely yellow), and yet I can
receive 100% of the data, of course if the weather is nice.

Luca,

Do we know how the signal strength readings compare on the USB and
PCI versions? I know that when my PCI card indication drops below
50% (yellow, I thnk) the BER goes up quite noticeably and segment
drop-outs do occur.

I rather suspect these signal strength indicators are rather like S-
meters on amateur radio kit, mostly meaningless, perhaps
occasionally useful for comparitive measurements, but calibrated to
any absolute standard, definitely not!! Actually, it's worse than
that, because of the digital threshold/capture effect we are looking
at very small changes in signal strength between no signal and OK.
This implies, perhaps, a reading accuracy requirement of 1dB, surely
a much tighter specification than any consumer equipment is made to?

Comments welcomed!