Re: HVS-1 data

David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🇪🇺

On 11/11/2021 12:40, Terence O'Hanlon Smith via groups.io wrote:
Ernst, and anyone to whom it may be of interest,

       after yesterday's dismal weather, with a SNR of near 8.0dB, and losses
even of basic data, I took advantage of the sunny spell this morning to climb
on the garage roof and tweak my 90cm dish and LNB.
 I used my and my wife's mobile phones on Facetime, one with it's camera on
the BDAdatex window on the screen in my study, and the other with me on the
garage roof. This made it possible watch any improvement in SNR as I adjusted
the receptors.
From the 8.2dB with which the professional left me, I managed to obtain 11.3dB.
 What particularly took me by surprise was that, once the dish pointing and
LNB focus and skew were near optimum, I was able to more finely improve th SNR
by simply tightening or loosening each of the four bolts clamping the dish
mount to the wall bracket. These theoretically only adjust azimuth, but by
adjusting each bolt in turn I was able to further improve SNR by at least a
half decibel. How sensitive is that!
    Anyway, thanks to y'all, particularly Ernst, for the heads-up, without
which I would still be languishing in despair.
  Needless to say, by the time I came back indoors the data was flowing
happily into the HVS-1 instance of Tellicast without me needing to touch
anything else; so it appears, surprisingly,  that at least I had done
everything correctly in software set up.
   ATB,
         Terence
Excellent news, Terence! Thanks for reporting back. I have a suspicion that I
might deserve another fraction of a dB, but it wouldn't be safe for me to
adjust. I do find that tightening the four wall-clamp screws make a
difference, and that I might put down to the screws gradually coming out with
the repeated high winds we get. In my case it's the two upper screws which
seem a shade looser.