Re: HVS-1 data

Ernst Lobsiger

On Tue, Nov 9, 2021 at 09:33 AM, T-Online wrote:
everywhere i read that it is necessary to have min 12db signal strength for the HVS-1 Service....
With my 80cm dish i have all the time between 10.5 and 11.5db signal strength. I don't have with this setup any lost packages. Just in strong rainy conditions i am losing some packages.
Flo,

first of all we are talking about SNR not signal strength.
I also hope you only loose UDP packets not packages.

My above equations say that HVS-reception begins with about SNR = 9.3 dB. This is not on/off, you still have missed and lost packets.
The EUMETSAT recommendation of minimum 4 dB LM means they propose SNR >= 13.3 dB which is indeed rather high. This might
be intended for National Meteorological Services and should still work in not too heavy rain. I doubt you have no missed packets with
SNR between 10.5 and 11.5 dB. But it certainly works as your LM is between 1.2 and 2.2 dB (not below 0 dB as the one of Terence).