Re: RamDisk size for HVS-2

Ernst Lobsiger

<cite>
It's odd that on your system you never exceed 1.5GB used on the Ramdisk, unless the Windows and Linux versions of Tellicast are different in some way.
</cite>

Alan,

given your 1.8m dish and the experiments you just described you are certainly not an average Windows TelliCast user. I also had a look at your rare posts that show that you have the potential to understand and use my MVMSG.cmd. You still find the DISTRO 0.22 in the MSG-1 file section (login, go to files and search for MVMSG). The zip contains my papers with the technical background. I have written this on my Windows 7 desktop before T2 and HVS-2 even existed. It uses an NTFS-formatted RAM-disk. The reason for this are rather technical except for the fact that I had no Windows RAM-disk at all and I found it outright ridiculous to have to pay for such an ADD-on. I actually simulated a Windows 7 TelliCast receiver (something I never had and never will have) and a RAM-disk with an external ZIP-100 drive that I formatted FAT32 and NTFS.

David uses and describes a much simpler approach based on robocopy.exe and trimtree.exe on his site but I doubt this can do what my MVMSG.cmd actually does. I also note that he uses RAM-disk sizes up to 8GB (see e.g. his PC Lund).

https://www.satsignal.eu/wxsat/Ayecka/RAMdisk-HVS.html

https://www.satsignal.eu/mrtg/lund-ramdisk-trees.html

The only persons I know to have used MVMSG.cmd are well known Arne van Belle (my Beta tester for this project) and Emmanuel "Manu" Dupré (he made me brush up my frech). I also made a special version that can handle 4 TC clients. Arne used this version to demonstrate that his TBS-6983 could receive two full EUMETCast transponders by setting up a system that received 2 x T1 = 2 x (BAS + HVS-1). Before that mighty demonstration (though I always knew) it was very much under dispute and even FUD whether this novel PCIe card from a "Chinese startup" could ever receive both T1 and future T2. I just found that version MVMSG4.cmd as configured by Arne van Belle in an old e-mail. FYI I attach it to this post. MVMSG4.cmd could be used for BAS + HVS-1 + HVS-2 + future HVS-3. And you might be the person that makes it fly. AFAIK there is almost no difference between GNU/Linux and Windows versions of the TC client except for the fact that (impossible under GNU/Linux) Windows can put tmp and received files on different filesystems (partitions) what YOU SHOULD NEVER DO in the first place. Actually I see no reason why you could not run all three Windows clients on a 3-4GB RAM-disk (though I cannot test it here).

P.S.
I just tested MVMSG.cmd on my Windows 10 PRO 64Bit desktop. In demo mode it still works as under Windows 7. If you really want to go for it read my documentation first and then send me a PM describing your system. I'll see what I can do.