From: David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🇪🇺 via groups.io <david-taylor@...>
To: MSG-1@groups.io
Sent: Sat, 31 Jul 2021 5:38
Subject: Re: [MSG-1] Loss of Eumetcast signal via SR1 rx

On 30/07/2021 22:57, Terence O'Hanlon Smith via groups.io wrote:
> Thank you both Ernst and David,
>                                                           when using PuTTY to
> check the SR1 configuration as suggested, I was presented with an "unable to
> access serial port" error message. I am still using Win 7 Ultimate, and the
> Device Manager fails to bring up the "Ports" option, even viewing the hidden
> items. I have spent much of the afternoon attempting to recover the com ports
> details without success. They appear to have vanished entirely. I shall have a
> break over the weekend and try again next week!
>     Your assistance has been much appreciated.
>           Best regards,
>                                   Terence

Terence,

You can always [try to] access the device with Telnet on its management port -
e.g. with PuTTY.  You just need to find its IP address.  This doesn't need the
serial port.  You may also have the Java-based SR1 console installed.  It still
works here on a new PC installing Java and then the console.

I've not heard of "Missing COM ports" before.  Doubtless you've tried some of
the answers here:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/com-ports-missing-in-device-manager-in-windows-7/ad7145a3-8e58-e011-8dfc-68b599b31bf5

The BIOS one sounded most hopeful to me as you've already tried hidden devices.
  It doesn't mention Scan for new hardware, though.

Good luck!