Re: tellicast on linux

Youssef Bennouna

Thank you very much Ernst for your help,
Thanks to all of you, I made my first step in the satellite imagery world. I am happy that this works, there is still  a lot of optimization work to do on the system to have it fine tuned as I want.
As I have all the softs of David, I want to use them to make my images and manage the flow of data so as not to be overwhelmed . Therefore, I understood that I have to run tellicast as a normal user.
I wish you all a nice weekend.

Youssef BENNOUNA
Directeur général
Etudes et Mesures les 5 Domaines

Le sam. 5 juin 2021 à 06:50, Ernst Lobsiger via groups.io <ernst.lobsiger=belponline.ch@groups.io> a écrit :
On Fri, Jun 4, 2021 at 04:32 PM, Youssef Bennouna wrote:
But, is it a good thing to run the client as root ?
Thanks Ernst
Youssef

Good question. root is the default. This makes it also easier to use ram-disks. You can change that in /etc/tellicast-client.cfg to a non root user.

It's certainly not a very good thing to have the data in /root. I use a dedicated (CMR recording!) data disk mounted -noatime -nodiratime on /srv
The whole data handling is done by root. A user eumetcast does process the raw data that he sees readonly. Exports with NFS are read only.

If you want to export the data read/write with SAMBA for processing under Windows with David's programs you *must* use a non root user.

Congratulation for getting it running! If you want bas + hvs-1 you change that in /etc/dvb-eumetcast.cfg ("E1") + /etc/tellicast-client.cfg
("bas,hvs-1"). For an optimum bas-only system you can set MODCOD filters in /etc/dvb-eumetcast.cfg ("E1BW" instead of "E1B").

Good luck