Re: Encryption

David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🇪🇺

Now that we are all happily receiving fantastic pictures and
animating long sequences I suppose the promised encryption trial
will start. Does anyone have details of when this is due to start.
Will we be able to obtain the USB dongle concurrent with this start
date ( and will it overheat !!) or will we have animations with
sections of gobbledegook in them.

Encryption tests were planned to start in September.

The service start date is 2004 Jan 1, and I would expect Eumetsat to
have eTokens available for purchase by then. You will also need
some runtime software but that is free to download from the Aladdin
Web site (and may be Eumetsat will make a copy available from their
Web site?). Without the correct eToken and username/password, you
just don't get the files, so you animations would have gaps rather
than scrambled information.

For what it's worth, two of us are currently testing the eToken
hardware and runtime software with Eumetsat. We both had slightly
false starts, one with a wrong password, and me with a software
compatibility issue (probably now fixed with a more recent release
of the eToken runtime software). There may also be an updated
version of the Tellique software (although I'm still running
V2.3.0a).

My own software should work without change or update.