Re: PyTROLL/SatPy Starter Kit V3.0 for GNU/Linux

Ernst Lobsiger

Dear All

While we had a script for Electro-L N2 (GOMS2) as geostationary satellite at 76E in the Starter Kit V1.0 there is no such script in the Starter Kit V3.0.
The reason for this is still found on https://uns.eumetsat.int/  searching for "Electro" ...
<cite>
Due to the ongoing relocation of Electro L-N2 to its new position at 14.5W, the Electro-L-N2 service has been suspended as of 21/07/2020 at 09:30 UTC
</cite>

Now Electro-L N3 (GOMS3) has taken the place of former Electro-L N2 (GOMS2) and EUMETSAT is testing dissemination of the same data we had
before from Electro-L N2. This is 6 channels of full disk 4km at SSP every 30 minutes. The tests started yesterday. Here is some info from EUMETSAT:

<cite>

The file format is compressed XRIT and the filenames have the following scheme:

Example:

H-000-GOMS3_-GOMS3_4_____-11_9_076E-000006___-202101112100-C_

The data will be distributed on EUMETCast Europe:

Channel: E1B-TPG-1

Multicast address: 224.223.222.27

PID: 500

Access to these data will be automatically provided for Member State NMHSs and registered manufacturers. Following a successful trial, it is planned to make them available to the wider User community.
</cite>

While the data is not yet available to everybody I got hold of some files and adapted a MSG3.py for this offer that should start rather soon.
Users of the Starter Kit V3.0 can certainly make a similar GOMS3.py script also having an eye on what we used in Starter Kit V1.0. There
is a possible small fix for the PyTROLL/Satpy 'electrol_hrit' reader that currently only lists N1 and N2. I'll discuss that with the developers.

Here my first results.