Re: PyTROLL/SatPy Starter Kit V3.0

Christian Peters

@Ferdinand Yes, all done on the RPI 4. It’s amazing. And we should take in mind that the Pytroll/Satpy package is made for scientific computing and not optimized for low power machines like a Raspberry Pi 4.

@Rob Yes, Tellicast doesn’t provide an ARM client.
Interesting to get the data via internet. Btu O think get it vi satellite is more sportive.
I run two Linux receivers and did a quick connect of the Pi to one of the receivers via cifs (samba). Works nice. Files are read direct from the receiver disk. I compiled the Wavelet decompression software on the ARM, runs flawless - the scripts from Ernst use this compiled version.
You could speed up the processing if you do the Wavelet decompression on the receiver, even uncompressing the .bz2?!

I would choose the 8GB version if some think about buying a new PI4 … or search for a 64bit secondhand computer to dive into Pytroll.

Regards,

Christian

Am 23.01.2021 um 16:12 schrieb R. Alblas <sat@...>:

I have currently a PI4 8M in use constantly getting native data from Eumetsat internet (Python script), and creating/updating a multi-channel composite movie (using xrit2pic in commandline). Works very fine. I'll try satpy too.
Christian, how do you get the data? Tellicast doesn't work on ARM processors,as far as I know, so you need to use a "normal" PC for receiving, I assume? And you need ARM compiled Wavelet decompression software too, for MSG.

For Python scripts (based on Eumetsat examples) see:

http://www.alblas.demon.nl/wsat/software/eci.html

Rob.

On 23-01-2021 15:56, Ferdinand Valk wrote:
And all on a Raspberry Pi? Absolutely brilliant Christian. Thanks for sharing.

Ferdinand