Re: PyTROLL/SatPy Starter Kit V3.0 for GNU/Linux

nigel

Hi Christian,

thanks for your reply. I've currently installed the official 2020-12-02-raspios-buster-armhf OS. Perhaps I should reconsider that and go for a 64 bit version because, as you say, the chip is 64 bit. Bit more research required ! I'm doing this initial instal on a 2GB model but have an 8GB on order - who knows when it will arrive here in N Cyprus !!

It'll be interesting to hear how you get on, when you get the new SD card.

Regards

Nigel

On 19/01/2021 15:21, Christian Peters via groups.io wrote:
Nigel,

did you install the 64 bit ubuntu version!? I think you should use the 64 bit version (as the chip is 64bit). Anyway miniconda and other condo versions did not work on the PI.
I figured it out with virtualenv and pip. I think Ernst will provide the link in short time. You have to compile the packet on the Pi so it took some time, but it works. Just tested basic things, so more to come from you.

So you I just wait for a fresh MiniSDCard to try...but maybe I now can skip this as you are just ahead...! :-D

Regards,

Christian

P.S.: Maybe I will do it anyway...it will be just fun to get it working on the RP4 (but here only 4GB Ram)...

Am 19.01.21 um 14:01 schrieb nigel:

Hi Ernst,

I've started on installing your PyTROLL/StPy on a Raspberry Pi4, following your HOWTO_V30.txt and have come across a problem with Miniconda3 not being 32bit. I see that Christian has used "virtualenv" - could you kindly point me towards your GNU/Linux HOWTO 2.0, so that I can try this route, please ?

Many thanks,

Nigel

Dear All,

here comes the Kit for GNU/Linux amd64 as promised. It's as easy to install and use as the one for Windows. It has been
developed under Debian 10 (Buster) but you should have no problems to get it running on any amd64 GNU/Linux distro.

It's based on Miniconda3 as the Windows companion. Christian Peters took "virtualenv" (as described in my GNU/Linux HOWTO 2.0)
to install the PyTROLL/SatPy environment and made a first Meteosat image on a RASPI (8GB RAM needed) with one of my scripts :-).

Have fun