From: MSG-1@groups.io <MSG-1@groups.io> On Behalf Of Holl Gerrit
Sent: 18 December 2020 10:45
To: MSG-1@groups.io
Subject: [MSG-1] AVHRR images in DWDSAT data - continued need?

Hello,

as part of EUMETCast, the German Weather Service (DWD) distributes some
weather data in the DWDSAT Service [1]. This service includes weather maps,
meteograms, and text forecasts, among other things. It also includes AVHRR
single-channel images and a SEVIRI HRV day/night composite for three areas
over Europe, Central Europe, and Germany, such as the attached example over
Central Europe.

At DWD we are updating our satellite processing software, including the
software used to produce the PNG images from AVHRR and distributed via
DWDSAT. I would like to know if there is a continued need for those images,
and if it would be a problem to stop their broadcast in DWDSAT. EUMETCAST
users already have access to AVHRR data as part of EARS, and I am not sure
what the added value of the AVHRR images in DWDSAT would be. This broadcast
was started a long time ago under my predecessor. Users needing PNG can
quite easily produce single-channel images themselves using open-source
software such as Pytroll[2]/Satpy[3] (which is the software we are
transitioning to ourselves for AVHRR processing), and the SEVIRI VIS/HRV
combination is not too hard to set up either (I think we're already
producing this with Satpy).

Is anyone still using AVHRR data from DWDSAT? If yes, is there a continued
need? What is the added value or advantage compared to data available in
EARS?

best regards,
Gerrit Holl,
German Weather Service, Remote Sensing Application Development Division.

P.S. I saw references to a dedicated group for DWDSAT users, but I could not
find a corresponding group after the migration to groups.io; I apologise if
I missed it and if this is the wrong forum for this query.

[1] https://navigator.eumetsat.int/product/EO:EUM:DAT:MODEL:DWDSAT
[2] http://pytroll.github.io/
[3] https://satpy.readthedocs.io/en/stable/
[4] https://groups.io/g/MSG-1/message/3289