Re: experiences and lessons learned with a fresh Eumetcast install for WIndows and Linux


George Sz
 

I upgraded my Eumetcast box to Ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS. As expected, it did not go without issues. After a manual update to kernel 5.9 (I did this before 5.10 was released) and recompiling TBS drivers, everything seemed to be going fine. Or so I thought.

I noticed that after a while, Tellicast started to throw "no data received" errors and indeed, no data was being received at all. I modded dvb-eumetcast according to Markus' entry [link] but that did not help, unfortunately. After digging through the documentation of smcroute and some trial and error, I managed to fix the issue by applying smcrouted -c 0 on startup.

Per smcroute documentation:
-c Flush unused dynamic (*,G) multicast routes every SEC seconds ... Default is 60 sec, set to 0 to disable.
So I suspect that there is a bug somewhere in smcroute that disconnects multicast routes when a dynamic route flushing occurs. Disabling this behavior fixes the issue. I'm running smcroute version 2.4.2. I'm aware that there is a newer version available but I did not manage to manually install it correctly yet. For now I'm taking the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" route and leave it as is.

Join MSG-1@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.