From: MSG-1@groups.io <MSG-1@groups.io> On Behalf Of David J Taylor GM8ARV ?????????????? ???? via groups.io
Sent: 11 December 2020 08:25
To: MSG-1@groups.io
Subject: Re: [MSG-1] Receiving and Processing Geostationary Images

On 10/12/2020 20:34, Allan Sloan via groups.io wrote:
I have just got back into receiving weather satellites, getting my RX2
and a old laptop up and running again, have now also set up a
Raspberry PI and USB dongle. This is producing very good results.

So now wanting to try Geostationary again.

Back in the day, I used a Yagi with a down convertor into my satellite
receiver at the time.

So looking to see what equipment and software is required now. and
what are the likely costs for this.

I have a sky dish ( which is lying in a corner of the garden, as I
now use Virgin ) and was wondering what else I would need. My location
is in Irvine Scotland.

So does anyone have a good write up, or a website, to guide me on my quest.

All help and assistance greatly received.

Regards

Allan Sloan
Allan,

There would be good write-ups on previous GEO Quarterly journals, now all on the Web. My Web site may help. The 1.7 GHz service is no more.

Basically:

"Satellite TV"
- 80 cm or bigger dish
- LNB
- cable

- DVB-S2 receiver, cheapest 2nd hand TBS5925, USB out so works with a portable PC too.
- EUMETSAT software and USB dongle (free)

- Processing & display software
- free (much assembly required, Windows or Linux)
- my own MSG Toolset Plus suite (ready to go, Windows)