Re: TBS 6903 Signal Display

diogenes1@...

Hello John and thanks to those who responded to my problem. Setting up dishes is certainly my bête noire, you may remember a little while ago when I raised the topic of aligning my 1.5m dish - I never did achieve that. I live in a difficult location for satellites, a river valley with hills on both sides and trees as a further complication. I have both HVS streams on the TBS 6903 and on a seperate pc the SR1 used for the basic service. I use AeroAdmin between pcs and laptop so I will try using SR1 Control instead, at least I will be able to see the larger dials!
Regards, Peter

Nov 8, 2020, 12:21 by geojohnt@...:

Alan and Peter,

I agree with Alan 'you' really need to see 'a meter' at the dish when you are adjusting it.

I use TeamViewer between my computer and mobile phone.
Using an SR1 for EUMETCast I can relay the three SR1 readout dials enlarged on the phone screen.

Beware Peter, if my dish is not aligned to 10 A but a same frequency and polarisation transponder on another satellite, the meter will indicate good SNR and Power - but no data present on the Traffic dial.
So it is easy to be mislead(?) by a close-by satellite.

Eutelsat 9 B does not have a transponder on EUMETCast TP 1 so that is not a problem.
Mind you, if your dish was aligned to 9 B you are almost there anyway.

So, if the TBS setup window also shows data flow then that is an aid.

Regards,
John.

++++++++++++++++++++

-----Original Message-----
To: MSG-1@groups.io
Sent: Fri, 6 Nov 2020 17:58
Subject: Re: [MSG-1] TBS 6903 Signal Display

Hi folks,
    I use the TBS software and have for many years with no problems. To line up dishes, use the value shown for SNR in the boxes under the two-line coloured display. This responds in a most sensitive manner to antenna movements. BUT you have to be able to see the value shown as you adjust the dish. It is almost impossible to do with someone repeating the value over a phone or listening to the voiceover spoken by the card. The line showing Quality also responds but is almost full-screen and small changes are not easy to see and impossible to report!.
Signal strength is mainly noise from the amplifiers and does not respond to signal to noise ratio. If the interfering transponder with the transponder carrying the basic service is on,, my SNR is about 11.4dB, if it is off (rare!) it goes up to 13.6 dB. in other words, when off, I can receive HVS, when on, I am limited to the basic service.This just about matches well with calculations.
Best of luck!
Alan S
On 06-Nov-20 12:59 PM, David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴 🇪🇺 via groups.io wrote:
Hello all, I am trying, once more, to set up my dish and I am using the signal strength indicator in the TBS control panel. The level sits at 49% and then suddenly jumps up to 98% sits there for a while then moves back down again. I am monitoring two seperate connections from the lnb to the card and both move in unison. I have tried a different lnb with similar results. Does anyone know quite what the card is measuring when it says signal strength? Will this include noise or is it the pure satellite signal?
Regards, Peter
================================

Peter,

The TBS software never worked properly for me.  Try using BDADataEx instead (you can likely still use the TBS afterwards).  If the TBS reports dB rather then some meaningless percentage, use that.  Remember it the best SNR you need, not necessarily the strongest signal.  Maybe "quality" in TBS-speak?

Cheers,
David

Avast logo
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.

Join MSG-1@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.