Re: TBS 6903 Signal Display

Alan Sewards

Hi folks,

    I use the TBS software and have for many years with no problems. To line up dishes, use the value shown for SNR in the boxes under the two-line coloured display. This responds in a most sensitive manner to antenna movements. BUT you have to be able to see the value shown as you adjust the dish. It is almost impossible to do with someone repeating the value over a phone or listening to the voiceover spoken by the card. The line showing Quality also responds but is almost full-screen and small changes are not easy to see and impossible to report!.

Signal strength is mainly noise from the amplifiers and does not respond to signal to noise ratio. If the interfering transponder with the transponder carrying the basic service is on,, my SNR is about 11.4dB, if it is off (rare!) it goes up to 13.6 dB. in other words, when off, I can receive HVS, when on, I am limited to the basic service.This just about matches well with calculations.

Best of luck!

Alan S

On 06-Nov-20 12:59 PM, David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴 🇪🇺 via groups.io wrote:
Hello all, I am trying, once more, to set up my dish and I am using the signal strength indicator in the TBS control panel. The level sits at 49% and then suddenly jumps up to 98% sits there for a while then moves back down again. I am monitoring two seperate connections from the lnb to the card and both move in unison. I have tried a different lnb with similar results. Does anyone know quite what the card is measuring when it says signal strength? Will this include noise or is it the pure satellite signal?
Regards, Peter

Peter,

The TBS software never worked properly for me.  Try using BDADataEx instead (you can likely still use the TBS afterwards).  If the TBS reports dB rather then some meaningless percentage, use that.  Remember it the best SNR you need, not necessarily the strongest signal.  Maybe "quality" in TBS-speak?

Avast logo