Re: PC Spec

Ernst Lobsiger

On Fri, Oct 23, 2020 at 06:00 AM, David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🇪🇺 wrote:
Graham,

Plan on a very long learning curve. Even for receive only there are still lots of complications. It's not something I would recommend for the Linux beginner.

Graham,

that's taken from a backup of a web page I had at my school and that's how I started using GNU/Linux for EUMETCast:

////
Remember what David Taylor said May 8th 2007 on the MSG-1 Group in a discussion about setting up a GNU/Linux receiver:

"
I haven't used EUMETCast operationally with Linux - but I understand that it does work, and I have seen it working on at least one system. The great majority use Windows 2000 or XP, and there is far more experience using those systems and diagnosing problems which may occur.   ...   My recommendation is that, unless you /must/ run under Linux for some reason, or you simply want to experiment, go for a native Windows 2000 or Windows XP solution.
"
////

If you give up before you even try, you will never know what you are missing. As you worked as a software engineer
you should be able to do it with little help. Given a fairly good Internet access you can install the basic CLI system in
20 minutes. Of course that's where the real learning curve starts. GNU/Linux is for people that are willing to READ
Manuals, HOWTOs, Man Pages, Blogs and Posts ...

Best regards
Ernst

P.S.
If you are looking for a cheap PC try to find a make that has good technical documentation like
HP, Fujitsu, DELL, ... Go with Intel processors, I have absolutely no experience with AMD so far.