Re: PC Spec

Ernst Lobsiger

On Thu, Oct 22, 2020 at 06:06 AM, Graham Woolf wrote:
Hi

At the moment I do all my Eumetcast reception on my main PC along with all my other work and bits and pieces which means I suffer from the occassional lossĀ  of data

I am thinking of getting a dedicated PC just for Eumetcast reception and wondered if anyone could advise me on the minimum spec to go for regarding CPU , Ram HDD etc

I have two SR1s and take BAS, HVS1 and HVS2 so would need two network ports or an alternative would be 3 USB ports

Any ideas would be much appreciated

Graham
Graham

If you dare to give GNU/Linux a try (I could give you a hand) you will get away with these specs:

Intel Core2 Duo 3.16GHz or later, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD (System), 1-2 TB HDD (CMR!) DATA.
You must have room for two additional network cards. Except for the two disks you should find
such a PC for free. You *must* know your dayly data volume, it's easily around 400GB and it's
hard to process that all. You can use SAMBA to export the data to a Windows processing PC.

I still use my almost 12 years old Fujitsu/Siemens Esprimo Core2 Duo and recently got a bunch
of 7 years old DELL Optiplex 7010 I5 SFF all for free. NICs Intel1000 app. 10 Euros from e-Bay.

Cheers
Ernst

http://5.153.116.236:81/

http://5.153.116.236:84/

P.S:
Once again: Beware of SMR disks. This crap cannot be used for EUMETCast Data! It *must* be CMR.
There is a thread about that on this list. HDD manufacturers now declare SMR/CMR in the datasheets.