Re: Gaps in AVHRR images yesterday.

geojohnt@...

David,

Thanks for the advice.

Right, Windows search disabled.

>- ensure that you are not running both Windows Defender /and/ the BullGard.

Interesting(?) that.
When I go to Settings > Windows Security > Firewall and Network protection [Domain network No action needed. Private network No action Needed. Public network No action needed] then click 'Who's protecting me.' > Manage providers > Security providers >

'Antivirus' says BullGuard AV on, Microsoft Defender AV off.

'Firewall' says BullGuard Firewall is turned on, Windows Firewall is turned on.

'Web protection' No providers.

When I 'mouse over' and click 'Windows Firewall' > open app > (thinking I can turn it off) I get another window - Firewall & network protection.

> Domain network - Active domain network Not connected. BullGuard Firewall on. Microsoft Defender firewall off as using other providers.

For Active private networks - Not connected, BullGuard on, Defender off as using ........

For Public network (Networks in a public space such as an airport or coffee shop, and where your device is set to not discoverable) Active public networks: TALKTALK ........., Unidentified network [SR1?] - Bullguard on, Defender off as using .........

This for most here this is basic configuration (sorry everyone) but I find it confusing 'Public/Private' and a bit contradictory

I note you do not say turn BullGuard off.

Looking at BullGuard Network Activity, Tellicast is going 'through it.'
And I attach a couple of screen shots of part of its Manage Rules list which contain TC.

Also a shot - Settings - Skip files/folders - box is default ticked.
Should/could, Don't scan files from network locations, be ticked?

Oh, and I think you might have misunderstood me regarding GOES channel selection.
I can't find a way to deselect channels I don't want.

+++++++++++++++++++++

John,

Obviously I can't tell you what data you do or do not wish to take!

- For GOES it depends on what you want to do with the data.  Quite
reasonable false-colour images can be produced with the same wavebands as
available on SEVIRI, visible 0.8 um and thermal 10 um - bands 3 and 13.

- For Manage CH.1 data, yes ticked, but it's unlikely you want IASI or much
of the sounder data (do you use it?).

- For Other-2, the MODIS ticks sound correct.

However, before messing with those settings, some simpler changes that I
would recommend:

- disabling Window search (the "disable the service" method

  https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/10246/how-to-disable-search-in-windows-7/

- ensure that you are not running both Windows Defender /and/ the BullGard.

- excluding all EUMETCast directories from the anti-virus (that's the \tmp\
and below, the \received\ and below).    Normally with anti-virus excluding
one directory will also exclude all those below it, so just two directories
need excluding.

Web: https://www.satsignal.eu
Email: david-taylor@...