Re: Dish alignment - formally Re: [MSG-1] Gaps in AVHRR images yesterday.

Cornish Man

Hi John

I moved the dish out of the path of the tree and mounted it higher.

And used dishpointer to align it first, then move it till I get a stronger signal as well as the skew

I will have to take the dish down soon as the council is putting a new roof up and the dish will be in the way of the scaffolding  

Jan

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: 24 September 2020 13:03
To: MSG-1@groups.io
Subject: Dish alignment - formally Re: [MSG-1] Gaps in AVHRR images yesterday.

Jan,

I seem to remember you said in the past that you were not sure about a tree, or was it part of a roof 'in the way?'

We will soon be coming up to Sun, satellite, dish co-linearity in October so you will have several days to see if anything is 'shadowing' your dish. 

In the meantime you can find out the Eutelsat 10 A solar crossing time for your location from David's WXtrack which will give you an idea of any current or future potential shadowing as the Sun gets lower towards co-linearity.

And have you tried www.dishpointer.com (recommended by EUMETSAT) which will show what is 'ahead of your dish' locally.

Oh, and skew is very important since there is (also) a V channel transmitting at 11.623 GHz which needs to be nulled out with accurate skew adjustment.

Regards,

John.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

-----Original Message-----
To: MSG-1@groups.io <MSG-1@groups.io>
Sent: Thu, 24 Sep 2020 11:49
Subject: Re: [MSG-1] Gaps in AVHRR images yesterday.

Hi John.

I know I should be getting more DB’s

I adjust the dish Manually as I don’t have a Dish Finder.

Using my mobile with Remote Desktop I adjust the dish to get the best signal.

I purchased a Inverto Black Ultra LNB a month and I found that I got 1db or so less signal than with my old Technomate T2 LNB

Cheers

Jan

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: 24 September 2020 10:35
To: MSG-1@groups.io
Subject: Re: [MSG-1] Gaps in AVHRR images yesterday.

Hello Cornish Man,

Well if you are in Cornwall and using a 110 cm dish, you've got problems.

But then I think we have discussed this in the past?

I'm using a 1 m dish with an Inverto Black Ultra LNB in SW London and at the moment 09:25 UTC with clear skies am getting 13.1 dB SNR with an SR1.

You are well within the maximum signal contour so should be getting much better SNR.

Regards,

John.

Join MSG-1@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.