Re: Gaps in AVHRR images yesterday.

geojohnt@...

David,

Sorry for the delay in responding - just seen this 'way down the pile.'

My SNR is always around 13.00 dB in clear sky conditions, so I guess that is not the problem and disabling HVS-1 won't make much difference?

>- check both TelliCast for [ideally] zero packet loss, missed and recovered.
>There are some systems where there is steady stream of missed and recovered
>packets, but with the same count for each.  Temporarily disable HVS-1 and
>check again.  BAS should have zero packet loss.

This is a bit 'worrying' as I don't remember ever having zero MP's even before HVS-1.
And the old version of Tellicast.

Remember, I have an SR1 that regularly indicates minus (into the 1,000's) value of traffic for up to 5 seconds.
And, as Ernst and I think, we get missed packets when we 'switch on' (use) another quad LNB port on another receiver on the EUMETCast LNB.

At the moment my statistics from 2020-09-10 14:31 (13 days) are:

BS MPb4 FEC 2284.     FEC RP 181.

HVS-1 MPb4 FEC 1763     FEC RP 14.

SR1 statistics for same period Bad Frame Count 139.   Bad Packet Count 281.

I would not add too much weight to these figures, although through a clear sky period, as I've been moving around in front of the dish doing patio work and we had a period of heavy rain last night.

- check your receiver for SNR [Es/No, Carrier-to-noise] unless it's at least
12 dB in clear conditions, I suggest disabling HVS-1 reception.
Unfortunately that means no GOES or Himawari.

Instructions for disabling HVS-1 are on page 16 of the Novra guide:

  http://www.eumetsat.int/website/wcm/idc/idcplg?IdcService=GET_FILE&dDocName=PDF_DMT_736617&RevisionSelectionMethod=LatestReleased&Rendition=Web