Re: Gaps in AVHRR images yesterday.
David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴 🇪🇺
Many thanks John,
Here is your list annotated to show my record:
Metop - B 2020-09-11 - 00:04. Chunk missing
NOAA 19 2020-09-11 - 00:57. Short section north of Norway
Metop - C 2020-09-11 - 06:16. NOAA19 Arctic circle to central west Africa
Metop - B 2020-09-11 - 14:46. Not received, gap in reception
Metop - C 2020-09-11 - 17:52. Nothing received between 17:19 and 18:01
Last image received 2029 Metop C
Metop - A 2020-09-11 - 20:40.
NOAA 19 2020-09-11 - 21:05.
Metop - A 2020-09-11 - 22:21.
NOAA 19 2020-09-11 - 22:49.
Metop - B 2020-09-11 - 23:38.
I have never had satisfactory performance from AVHRR Manager - always very gappy. In fact I only have it running occasionally because it is so frustrating. Just lucky it was running yesterday (more in hope than expectation).
You might indeed say that I have problems!
There is nothing particularly special about the EARS AVHRR data which would make the segment loss any greater that that of the SEVIRI data. Thoughts:
- Hard disk full? Has any disk on your system run out of space?
- are you maxing out on CPU?
- I know that in the past you have had problems with the network link between receiver PC and processing PC. Perhaps you are still running a two-receiver system (as I do here)? If there are still network link issues those need to be resolved first. My suit of programs /must/ be able to delete files in the receive directory tree, so check whether there is unprocessed data being left behind in EUMETSAT_data_channel_1.
- I assume your TelliCast software is at least version 2.14.5. The current version is 2.14.6 but there's no specific need to upgrade [yet] if 2.14.5 is working correctly.
- You should have a separate receive directory for EUMETSAT Data Channel 1, and be pointing the EARS AVHRR Manager to that directory. The channel entry should be something like:
name=EUMETSAT Data Channel 1
- what you describe (high segment loss) is symptomatic of having TWO EARS AVHRR Managers running. Is that possible? Is there a third-party program which might be accessing the received directory?
SatSignal Software - Quality software for you