From: Ernst Lobsiger via groups.io <ernst.lobsiger@...>
To: MSG-1@groups.io
Sent: Sat, 29 Aug 2020 10:02
Subject: Re: [MSG-1] EUTMETCast DVB-S2 Unable to lock

> Another alternative for overcast skies is to use online dish pointing calculators such as:

@James

Yes dishpointer is the preferred site for aligning azimuth with landmarks. Beware of messing with compass an magnetic stuff.

@Quentin

If you want to try the solar trick and do not have software to determine the exact solar position with time you can do this:

1) Go to dishpointer to get the azimuth (NOT the magnetic one).
2) Go to the NOAA solar position calculator. You will have to enter the time a couple of times to approximate your azimuth as close as possible
(there used to be a site of a french guy that did it all automagically and gave the time for azimuth. Does anybody have the URL? Is it still online?)

https://www.esrl.noaa.gov/gmd/grad/solcalc/

3) Set your clock exactly, go to the dish, put the tape on, and wait for the sun ...