Re: EUTMETCast DVB-S2 Unable to lock

geojohnt@...

Quentin and Ernst,

Quentin, it seems you do not have David T's WXsat programme which would give you the solar crossing time for your location?
No matter, dish pointer is very useful as you can click and drag the dish pointer to the exact location of your dish and get its accurate location parameters and the satellite's parameters from your location.

Oh, and beware, this programme shows LNB skew looking from behind the dish - not 'from the place where you would be standing to adjust the skew!'

You could then use  https://www.timeanddate.com/astronomy/ with these parameters (and/or Ernst's suggestion) to see the time when the sun crosses your dish.
As Ernst says, you need to be quick and accurate.

Ernst, one thing I find 'annoying' is that the SR1 uses the downconverted (LNB) frequency in setting up not the (as with satellite TV receivers) the 'satellite's transmitted frequency.

I wonder if this is also so with the TBS (and other) receivers?

It's just seems to be another complication (for me) to be overcome.

Regards,
John.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++

-----Original Message-----
To: MSG-1@groups.io
Sent: Sat, 29 Aug 2020 10:02
Subject: Re: [MSG-1] EUTMETCast DVB-S2 Unable to lock

> Another alternative for overcast skies is to use online dish pointing calculators such as:

@James

Yes dishpointer is the preferred site for aligning azimuth with landmarks. Beware of messing with compass an magnetic stuff.

@Quentin

If you want to try the solar trick and do not have software to determine the exact solar position with time you can do this:

1) Go to dishpointer to get the azimuth (NOT the magnetic one).
2) Go to the NOAA solar position calculator. You will have to enter the time a couple of times to approximate your azimuth as close as possible
(there used to be a site of a french guy that did it all automagically and gave the time for azimuth. Does anybody have the URL? Is it still online?)

https://www.esrl.noaa.gov/gmd/grad/solcalc/

3) Set your clock exactly, go to the dish, put the tape on, and wait for the sun ...

Regards
Ernst

++++++++++++++++++++++

Join MSG-1@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.