Re: RAMDisk.

geojohnt@...

David,

Thanks for your detailed reply.

I'll try the beta version of GSS.
Opening a full length pass of Metop from AVHRR Manger into HRPT Manager runs quickly - OK, it hasn't got to remap the differing channel resolutions.

You raise/prompt another point, the 'new' Tellicast and add to that, the new EKU - which I understood(?) is more able to cope with lots (and even more in the future) of data?

I may just try - you know me - to update to the latest Tellicast or leave it till I get the new EKU.

+++++++++++++++++

John,

Briefly, I'm setting up a new system and going to try it without a RAMdisk
to start with.  It has 32 GB memory, so space for a RAMdisk if needed.  I
still haven't decided whether to add HVS-2 to is as I don't use the data and
I have another PC which can monitor HVS-2 signal level and TelliCast losses.

The quality of the graphics card is irrelevant for my software.

The delay in Open with GeoSatSignal is caused by a Windows-10 interaction,
and can be resolved with the beta version:

  https://www.satsignal.eu/software/beta.htm

The Task Manager may not tell the whole story as it may be an interaction
between disk I/O and Network I/O which causes the error messages, although I
have seen "missing key" when there have been momentary drops in signal
level.

As I'm building this new PC from scratch (and retiring two old ones) I'll be
using the most recent TelliCast, although whether that will make a
significant difference (2.14.5 to 2.14.6) I rather doubt.  I have seen older
PCs (2010/2013) affected quite noticeably by the patches needed to bypass
the problems used by the Spectre and Meltdown vulnerabilities.

I would suggest updating the TelliCast software, and noting the new
buffering parameters.  Normally I would replace the TelliCast.exe and
Licence.ini files.  Keep backups of the working versions just in case.

Web: https://www.satsignal.eu
Email: david-taylor@...
Twitter: @gm8arv