RAMDisk.

geojohnt@...

David,

You recently started a discussion on this group regarding which is the best RAMDisk available currently.
This has prompted me to ask, having thought about it for some time now, as to whether one should be using RAMdisk (again) these days with increased data.

I still have my original RAMDISK (Z:) of 997 MB 'in place' but unused.

What made me wonder is that I use a single computer for reception and processing receiving BS and HVS-1.
I'm running AVHRR Manager, 2 x GOES ABI, 2 x Metop Manager, MSG Animator, 4 x MSG Data Manager, Java - SRI Controller.

I attach a copy of my Task Manager Performance screen shot but it looks to me that my computer is not stressed?
However, when I click 'Open last saved with GeoSatSignal' MSG 4 Manager HR image, it takes 33 - 34 seconds for the remapped imaged to appear in GSS.
I realise there are a lot of calculations to perform but I'm sure it didn't take that long some years ago on this computer with fewer SatSignal programmes running and the level of data we have today to deal with.

CPU Intel i5-4690K @ 35 GHz
RAM 16GB.
Window 10 64 bit.
Separate fairly high powered graphics card..
2 monitors.

Everything seems to run OK so there is 'no problem.'
As is being discussed on another thread, I get some Tellicast Missed Packets before FEC - though not that many over an extended period - but not many of those are FEC Recovered Packets.
Though I never have (appear to have) gaps in my images.

And I do get some SR1 Bad Frame Count/s and Bad Packet Count/s over a period.
SR1 SNR is mostly between 12.5 and 13.00 dB in fair weather.

And I get Tellicast Status warnings 'could not join ..... missing key' every now and again.

So, reinstate my RAMdisk?
If so, BS or HVS-1 channels?

Regards,
John