Re: Windows 10 feature update and MRTG

James Brown

Appreciate the extra info.
Initial checks don’t seem to show any changes in the Ethernet identification and as far as I can see no change in ip from the static address.

I might send a couple of screen grabs if you wouldn’t mind if the small MRTG section and the Ethernet properties.

Cheers.

JB

On 6 Jun 2020, at 10:22, David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🇪🇺 via groups.io <david-taylor=blueyonder.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:

Thank you again.
I am thinking I ought to socially isolate from MRTG!

JB
================================

James,

You are making things more complicated than they need to be! You can specify the target by MAC address as well. Use ipconfig /all to get the MAC address of the interface you're trying to monitor. Here's what I see for the extra card plugged into this PC to connect to the Ayecka SR1:

Ethernet adapter EUMETCast SR1 #1:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCI GBE Family Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 6C-FD-B9-00-6F-42
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.10.104(Preferred)
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

So in my case the MAC address is: 6C-FD-B9-00-6F-42. You see it's on network .10. because my SR1 is set that way.

A shortcut way of referring to your own PC is 127.0.0.1 so a "target" would be, taking their example in:

https://oss.oetiker.ch/mrtg/doc/mrtg-reference.en.html

Target[myrouter]: !01-02-0a-0b-0c-0d:public@wellfleet-fddi.domain

Target[satellite_19]: !6c-fd-b9-00-6f-42:public@127.0.0.1

The MAC address is normally invariant. I've never used this as I keep IP addresses fixed, and you can achieve a similar effect by the "Address reservation" settings in your router, albeit that you may need to recreate those when you get a new router.

Hope that helps!