Re: Signal Drop

geojohnt@...

David,

Interesting comments.

A problem is, I'm not an RF engineer and I'm just reporting what my SR1 and SatPal meter are showing.
What it all means, is another matter :-)

Last year(?) Klaus Peter suggested I looked into 'atmospherics' effecting satellite signals which I did and I think I wrote a GEO article on my findings.
Of course the sun is very high in the northern hemisphere at the moment so I guess we should expect some 'turbulence?'

LNB umbrella is in place and the LNB is shaded from the sun and keeping cool at 09:00 UTC.
However, my dark grey 1 m dish gets hot enough to fry an egg - so that will be radiating 'thermal energy.'
I wonder if that is a factor?

I have a plan to temporarily deal with the dish warming - watch this space.

SR1 TP 1 SNR down from 13.0 dB last night to 12.6/5 dB at the moment with cool LNB.

Regards,
John

+++++++++++++++++++++

Most interesting comparisons, John.  At lower signal levels I suspect there
is a degree of confusion in that we talk of:

  signal / noise

but what we are actually measuring is most likely

  (signal + noise) / noise

so a change of signal at higher signal levels will result in a greater
change in the measurement than at lower levels, where the value will tend to
zero 0dB (and not go negative!).  Noise isn't measured separately.  So was
the apparent level of the TV signal higher?

The graphs now clearly show that there was a dip seen by many stations
between~14:30 and 15:10 UTC.

  https://www.satsignal.eu/mrtg/performance_eumetcast-europe_link_margin.php

which may also have confused spot time level comparisons.

Web: https://www.satsignal.eu
Email: david-taylor@...
Twitter: @gm8arv