Re: experiences and lessons learned with a fresh Eumetcast install for WIndows and Linux

Christian Peters

Markus,

thank you for that long article!
That's really interesting and it's good to know there are some other users trying to setup TC on Linux.
Yes, it was really a challenge I never would get the system up without the help of Ernst.
My system runs Debian Stretch and it only runs the TelliCast client software with some basic xrit2pic scripts.
My sytem uses two TBS 5925 to get the data from two transponders. Ernst wrote a special version of dvb-eumetcast and split the the three services on three dummy devices.
Yes, the USB problem, the eToken link and the compiling of the kernel driver for the TBS is really a problem so I didn't touch the system since it runs (now for 214 days without reboot....the last reboot was a power interruption caused by a thunderstorm).

I would love to see an updated script for installing a TC receiver system with a TBS USB device, a TBS PCIe card and a Novra S300N receiver and for one or two Linux distributions like Ubuntu and Debian/Devuan to animate some other people to try Linux as platform. If it runs it runs rock solid! Regarding the reception quality I can't compare but I even get some key errors.

But at my Win10 processor I have to look every day whether the system does a reboot after installing updates in the night...which stops all processing software I have to restart then... :-P
I'm not sure if I would be able to get a Win10 system to not reboot....except disconnecting from the internet... :-D
Maybe all will be much easier if the Linux receiver would use a NOVRA300 hardware....but as the MTG mission will start next year, a third transponder will be set up and I think three of them would be to expensive for me and it would maybe not be possible to use three TBS USB devices like the 5925 on a Win10 or Linux system...!?
I don't know how this challenge could be managed in a easy way....and as the Linux drivers/firmware available for the new TBS PCIe cards is not really working with EUMETCAST....maybe setting up a Linux receiver would be impossible except for really experts in this future!? :-(

But most user know that setting up something in Linux is a challenge and even fun to get it working, but it would be really great if you and Ernst could contact EUMETSAT and could help to update the setup instruction script to lower the bar regarding setting up a Linux TC receiver.

But nevertheless I'm happy with my Linux TC receiver as it runs...but setting it up again I think I would need an updated script and again much help form Ernst and you...! ;-)

Regards,

Christian

Am 10.02.20 um 18:51 schrieb Markus Kempf:

I have used Eumetcast since 2005 and did a few posts to this group a long time ago. My receiving system started on a Pentium system that was up to date in 2005 running Windows XP. I later migrated to Win7 on a new hardware (2014) and finally to Win10 about three years ago. The old Tellicast sw installation just worked and I never touched it. For other reasons, I had to make a completely new fresh installation of Win10. I decided to finally update my old setup and downloaded/replicated the Eumetsat directory at:

ftp://ftp.eumetsat.int/pub/OPS/out/user/EUMETCast_Support/

After a short read of the documentation I downloaded the latest TBS Win10 drivers for my 5925 and Crazycats BDADataEx because I need Diseqc switching, something TVB's IP tool does not provide. I knew that already, but for a newbie it should be mentioned in the Eumetcast documentation.

https://www.tbsdtv.com/download/

After about 15min of downloading, installing and configuring, the system was up and running, receiving my usual data (actually much more because I did not edit the channels configuration :-). I believe that almost everybody could do this in a reasonable amount of time with the docs available and given the fact that the stuff simply works.

Then I got the idea that the Eumetcast reception could be done with my new NAS server system, replacing the old PC and saving some electrical energy and money because the NAS runs 24/7 anyway. I had the same idea a few years ago, but the old NAS server was ARM based and the proprietary Tellicast client is not available. The new system is Intel based, so it seemed perfectly fit for the purpose. I was quite confident that this would work in a short amount of time, given my 35 years of experience working as an engineer in the IT industry and beeing a Unix native... Unfortunately, that was a fallacy. The current state of the software and documentation provided by Eumetsat makes it very unlikely that a normal user will succeed. My biggest mistake was not to search in the archive of this group, because most problems have been addressed already by Christian Peters and Ernst Lobsiger.
My NAS server uses Debian 10, with a backport kernel 5.4. Unlike Ernst/Christian, I like to use systemd, so I'm not a real Unix greybeard...

1) DVB device driver
Even after so many years, the installation of the device drivers for a TBS5925 is still a mess, because they are not part of the slipstream process and have to be compiled by the user and for every new kernel version. That's a real pain for every system not totally dedicated to Eumetcast reception and nothing else. I have used the install scripts at:

https://github.com/tbsdtv/linux_media/wiki

The drivers work, the device gets recognized. Unfortunately the procedure taints the signed kernel and some debian provided modules will no longer work (eg.my USB soundcard).
In the Eumetsat documentation you could eiher use the 2014 or 2016 drivers or the above method depending on which document you read, no consistency at all.

2) EKU software
The crypto dongle, unfortunately still needed, that I use, is the original Aladin dongle ID 0529:0514 Aladdin Knowledge Systems eToken Pro v4.2.5.4. After following the advice in EUMETCast_Support/tellicast-client-pre-release/linux/README_Safenet_EKU_linux.txt, the dongle was not recognized by the system, the lsusb command showed nothing. The troubleshooting guide gives a hint, but has outdated info. On a modern Debian 10 system, the file /lib/udev/rules.d/90-hid-eToken.rules must be changed to include idProduct 514. This can also be found in the archives of this group.
SUBSYSTEM=="block" , ATTRS{idVendor}=="0529", ATTRS{idProduct}=="0514|0602|3002|3004|3005|3006|3007", MODE="0777"
SUBSYSTEM=="usb" , ATTRS{idVendor}=="0529", ATTRS{idProduct}=="0514|0602|3002|3004|3005|3006|3007", MODE="0777"
SUBSYSTEM=="usbmisc" , ATTRS{idVendor}=="0529", ATTRS{idProduct}=="0514|0602|3002|3004|3005|3006|3007", MODE="0777"
SUBSYSTEM=="hid" , ATTRS{idVendor}=="0529", ATTRS{idProduct}=="0514|0602|3002|3004|3005|3006|3007", MODE="0777"
SUBSYSTEM=="hidraw" , ATTRS{idVendor}=="0529", ATTRS{idProduct}=="0514|0602|3002|3004|3005|3006|3007", MODE="0777"
I'm really astonished, given the many old dongles, that they break the compatibility with the old devices and do not mention this in the documentation. A normal user will already fail at this point.
The dongle now showed up with "lsusb" but still did not work with tc-cast-client -k. After many hours of research, I found the problem. The library libcrypto must be present in /lib or /usr/lib. This is an error in the DEB control file of the Safenet Authentication client core library and should not happen. Again, a normal user would most likely fail again at this point. The archives of this group give another solution, but this simple symbolic link is good enough.
ln -s /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libcrypto.so.1.1 /lib/libcrypto.so

3) Diseqc switching
I have a setup with two dishes and four LNBs, so there is the need to switch to the right LNB. Unfortunately, the documentation again does not really mention it. You can find a hint in the config file /etc/channels.conf in a comment #name:frequency:PolarisationDVBStdModcod:diseqSatNr:Symbolrate:::
szap-s2 can switch, but you have to change the entries to your used number. In my case: E1B:11263:hS1:3:33000:::
Again, this would stop normal users and could be clearly explained in a Linux setup guide.

4) smcrouted
Now my DVB device worked, the EKU worked and I created the necessary network devices with EUMETCast_Support/EUMETCast_Licence_cd/Linux/DVB_devices/Common_Apps/dvb-eumetcast-setup.sh. Unfortunately I still could not receive data... A check with service tellicast-client status showed that smcrouted failed, because another one is already running. So at least on a Debian 10 system, the distribution provided smcrouted service must be disabled.
systemctl disable smcroute
systemctl disable smcroute-helper

5) SUCCESS
After many hours of work, the system finally works...

6) some quirks
the reception is worse compared to the Win10 setup. The count of missed packets is much higher.
I still have missing key errors sometimes in my log file
I need to adapt the metrics and stats scripts for my system

Hopefully this long article will help somebody to setup an Eumetcast system under Linux.

Markus