From: David J Taylor via Groups.Io <david-taylor@...>
To: MSG-1 <MSG-1@groups.io>
Sent: Mon, 20 Jan 2020 16:01
Subject: Re: [MSG-1] TP 1 'Power.'

All,

I'm seeing + 1 dBm on my SR 1 Power reading this morning but no change in
Es/No level, which remains
at the usual morning clear sky level reading.

Mind you, I don't know what the 'Power' reading actually shows.

Regards,
John Tellick.

John,

I asked this once, and the response was that this value was the level into
the demodulator chip (with the Ayecka SR1).  The scale on the Java program
show -20 dBm as the maximum possible, so +1dBm sounds to be way out.  What
was the level before?  Perhaps a typo?

As you know, the Es/No is determined almost exclusively by the LNB unless
there is an excess of cable, so in principle adding a line amplifier would
increase the level but not affect the SNR to any noticeable extent.